Breed Suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm not hung up on one breed, in fact I do something different on each farm. I enjoy switching up the bulls each year and see how it all turns out. I do have a favorite combination that paid off well and I was even able to buy the cows cheap. I bought some 3 year old herford cows at a bargin and ran my best angus bull with them. Those black white face baldies broke the bank, some brought more than I had given for their momma. I'm hung on the angus cows crossed with a char. bull as well but those angus cows aren't very cheap!

Rod":16zig1pt said:
I'm not hung up on one breed, in fact I do something different on each farm. I enjoy switching up the bulls each year and see how it all turns out. I do have a favorite combination that paid off well and I was even able to buy the cows cheap. I bought some 3 year old herford cows at a bargin and ran my best angus bull with them. Those black white face baldies broke the bank, some brought more than I had given for their momma. I'm hung on the angus cows crossed with a char. bull as well but those angus cows aren't very cheap!

Rod, I'll let you in on a little secret down here. Hereford cows have lost a little of their appeal over the years lately, and they oftentimes bring what a full brahman would bring in the sale ring (lower in price). Buy some hereford cows, cross them with an angus or brangus bull, and you have moneymaking cows. I'm not talking registered here, just strictly commercial. It just seems that lately no one wants the hereford heifers that come through. I've been contemplating buying some just to make baldies to sell. Ofcourse I'm always contemplating something.

I'm a black angus man but for the money you can buy nearly 2 for 1 hereford's vs.blacks.So if I was buying it would be hereford cows and an angus bull.When any of these cows are sold in the kill pen they are all worth the same.The quickest way to make money in the cow business is not spending it.

Frankie":1vtmlcss said:
But why do black cows outsell Hereford cows at the sale barn?

"Cows" are not be confused with feeders, but the calf color is certainly influenced by the cow.

USDA:
Table 6. The Average Selling Price for Feeder Cattle Based on Calf Color

Average Selling Price (Value/cwt.)

Deviation From Overall Calf Color Average (Value/cwt.)
yellow $96.47 $2.78
yellow-white face $95.65 $1.96
black-white face $95.02 $1.54
white $94.93 $1.24
black $94.29 $0.60
red $92.74 -$0.95
gray $91.85 -$1.84
red-white face $91.81 -$1.88
gray-white face $91.73 -$1.96
spotted or striped $83.84 -$9.85

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
USDA research from 2003 on selling price of different colored calves. I found it surprising. Hope it's readable. Who would have thought yellow calves are the highest selling in the U.S. ?

MikeC":1yluwn55 said:

yellow $96.47 $2.78
white $94.93 $1.24
black $94.29 $0.60
red $92.74 -$0.95
gray $91.85 -$1.84

USDA research from 2003 on selling price of different colored calves. I found it surprising. Hope it's readable. Who would have thought yellow calves are the highest selling in the U.S. ?

I've seen this before and it still doesn't make sense. Red and RWF are below average, but if you cross them with a Char and get yellow and YWF its above average. On the other hand, White, black, and BWF are above average. But if you cross Char with Angus or black baldies and get gray calves they are below average. What gives?

i agree with herefords i really like them. i like the way they look. i would suggest charolies if you wanted to start off with something alittle bigger....

And you know those yellow ones grow like weeds! In another words QUICKER RETURNS!That why I jumped on board with char. Bulls.

MikeC":29a2ulai said:
Frankie":29a2ulai said:

"Cows" are not be confused with feeders, but the calf color is certainly influenced by the cow.

USDA:
Table 6. The Average Selling Price for Feeder Cattle Based on Calf Color

yellow $96.47 $2.78
white $94.93 $1.24
black $94.29 $0.60
red $92.74 -$0.95
gray $91.85 -$1.84

That doesn't tell us why most of these folks are saying you can buy a Hereford cow cheaper than a black cow.

It's readable, but no link, of course. :roll:

Frankie":1m1j9s8a said:

Because the "dark side" has done such an effective job in promoting their breed. It has spilled over to other breeds as well (those that want to go black).

If someone can claim to show me the difference between a black angus, red angus, and hereford steak, I would look at them kind of funny. But, the black will outsell the others everytime.

Also, from what I see in the pastures around here, there aren't too many limo cows... you see limo bulls here and there, but not the cows. Now in Fredericktown there are several herds (especially driving along on Hwy 72) and quite a few breeders in that area.

I would say the two most popular breeds in this area are angus and charolais, that is what you see the most of.

cypressfarms":bb9ch542 said:
Frankie":bb9ch542 said:

Because the "dark side" has done such an effective job in promoting their breed. It has spilled over to other breeds as well (those that want to go black).

If someone can claim to show me the difference between a black angus, red angus, and hereford steak, I would look at them kind of funny. But, the black will outsell the others everytime.

Around here they don't number one calf as much as I hate to admit it is a high yellow whiteface no.2 is a F-1 tiger striped calf or black baldy running neck and neck. The smokies don't do bad just can't catch up. But all three are Hereford influenced.
The number one selling black cow in my area is Brangus hands down followed by Hereford or Brammer. Again its about enviroment

Hey Caustic,

You think Frankie was trying to real that one in? :lol: :lol:

"Surely" there was no sarcasim in her question :shock:

(I bet she's pulling out her MARC data as we speak)

1848":s3n52np7 said:
Hey Caustic,

You think Frankie was trying to real that one in? :lol: :lol:

"Surely" there was no sarcasim in her question :shock:

(I bet she's pulling out her MARC data as we speak)

Here is the real question if you glue a Marc data sheet to them calves butt do the buyers bid more at the barn. Second thought better put them sheets on the flank be hard to read through the green ink. Want to get the most money got paper to prove that is the best skinny calf running through the barn.
Its kinda like you know the differece between a coonass and a horses ass the sabine river.

The reason black is so popular is that to qualify for several of the premium grids, 1) a calf must be 51% black hided and 2) they have to grade high choice or higher.

First step to meet those qualifications is to be black. Here in my part of East Texas, people are turning their calf crops black with some yellow calves. Lots of black heifers and cows being turned out. Not the most environmentally correct cow for the hot, humid environment. Red or yellow cows are better suited. Could put black bulls on the cows to get calves that get you in he door on the premiums if you are a feeder.

Caustic Burno":3aptaviv said:
Its kinda like you know the differece between a coonass and a horses ass the sabine river.

Whoa there CB!!!!!, I'm a coonass (cajun for those that don't know). Just cause you live on the wrong side of the river, don't take it out on me. I never claimed to be from the dark side, but I'm very partial to brangus and angus plus.

Latest posts