Breed Standard(s) - how it this term defined?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hello all, I in a confusion about how "breed standard(s)" is defined. I am told my some breeders that it means how an animal looks and does not include genetic make-up (such as homozygous polled).

I find this mighty confusing and somewhat contradictory, since appearance and genetics are closely intertwined!

I have not had any luck when trying to find an answer to this on www so hope someone out there can help.

Cheers

Bred standards are normaly defined by physical appearence of the animal. Long legs, short muzzle, long erect ears, moves smoothly, etc. Of course that describes a mule, but for cattle it's the same. But in breeds such as Angus being polled is part of it, just like having horns is part of being a longhorn. Color can also enter into it. Pretty much it is what a bunch of people got together and decided was the "ideal" for that breed.
That's what makes judging a real challenge. You need to know the breed standard for each breed if they are bing shown in breed classes. Then the real toughy would be best in show. Each animal is compared to that breeds standard, and the one that most nearly duplicates that standard is the over all winner.
Steer shows are a totally different ballgame. They aren't compared to a breed ideal but to an individuals ideal.

dun

guest":34wml345 said:
Hello all, I in a confusion about how "breed standard(s)" is defined. I am told my some breeders that it means how an animal looks and does not include genetic make-up (such as homozygous polled).

I find this mighty confusing and somewhat contradictory, since appearance and genetics are closely intertwined!

I have not had any luck when trying to find an answer to this on www so hope someone out there can help.

Cheers

THank you dun - and as usual you are most helpful.

I was discussing this with an Angus breeder when the topic came up that there are a number of Angus 'look-alikes' out there, they are black and polled and look much as any Angus would but - they are not purebred and quite likely are heterozygous polled. Of course the best option is to buy from a reliable breeder. But you see so many so called Angus x out there that have horns - even the good old black baldy where clearly the Angus part was not purebred.

That is why I got to wondering if the breed standard would specify that they should be homozygous polled. But I guess good reliable breeder records should ensure this.

Ah well it is all interesting stuff! THanks again.

Latest posts