Breed sale vs. Private treaty

Help Support CattleToday:

FLJoe

Reaction score
As I mentioned in my last post, I have a registered Beefmaster bull calf I will be selling, perhaps with his dam. There is a breed sale that is held every so often a few hours from my place. Any advantages or disadvantages over private treaty?

Don't know about Beefmasters. However, with Longhorns, unless the animal is exceptional and the bidding gets serious, probably can sell for more via Private Treaty.

Our experience with attending special breed sales is that the bidding can go in any direction, depending on sale location, auctioneer, time of year, and the quality of the people bidding. We've seen some fantastic Longhorns going for next to nothing at one sale that would have brought excellent prices at another special auction. Considering travel expenses, consignment fees, etc., unless you can double your price at an auction, Private Treaty probably most profitable.

On the positive side, the special sales are excellent place to showcase your stock, meet prospective buyers, as well as get quick cash for your cattle. And, you can always "P.O." (pull out) your consignment if bidding doesn't go the way you want (you'll still pay fees for consigning).

I would go with the breed sale.. with a little research. Have you been to that particular sale before? How do they routinely sell? Do just the "big name" cattle sell, or are there smaller breeders involved? It would be worth while to talk with other past consigners for feedback.

It's hard to get people to come out and look at your cattle without a lot of marketing and exposure first. It takes time to get a reputation, and to get enought cattle out with other breeders to get referral calls. Going to a breed sale is the quickest way to get a lot of exposure.

FLJoe":poksgmcx said:
As I mentioned in my last post, I have a registered Beefmaster bull calf I will be selling, perhaps with his dam. There is a breed sale that is held every so often a few hours from my place. Any advantages or disadvantages over private treaty?

I agree with TheBullLady. See if you can contact the sale manager or the breed association and get averages for the sale, especially for pairs or bull calves. Do you have a price in mind for these animals? Remember there are costs to selling in breed sales. But more people will probably attend the sale than will come to your ranch to look for cattle, so it's a trade off. In our experience, private treaty is best, but you have to get your name out to the public before they will come to your place looking for cattle. Good luck....

Some sales you can put a floor bid on your cattle and if they don't bring that amount then you take them home but most of the time you still have to pay the commission or atleast a fee. If you are not for sure you'll get what you want at auction then I would try to sell them private treaty.

Running Arrow Bill":3krq0q9f said:
Guess it all boils down to "How soon do you need to sell something" and "Do you need the money now..."

Generally in consignment sales you don't get your money the day of the sale. The sale manager or sale secretary collects the checks, banks them and waits to be sure no checks bounce before they send checks to the consignors. They also transfer the papers to the new owner. (At least this is how the sales I'm familiar with work.)

Latest posts