breed of cows

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I live in south central ky and was wondering if anyone knew the best breed to raise around here or just the best breed anywhere. I have been raising holstein stears but price is getting lower and lower,plus some have said they are easier to get sick. any help would be appreciated. Thanks

[email protected]

Te best breed of cows is like which is best looking, blondes or brunettes. There is no one best breed, a lot of folks will claim that their breed is the best because, then through in every reason under the sun as if that is the only breed that has those characteristics. Under any given management scenerio there will be a number of reeds that will work. Now that I've pissed everyone off, see what breeds or crosses do the best comsistantly in the market you plan on using. If you are planning on raising bottle calves, a ready availability of calves may be a problem. Dairy calves are typically the most reafily available. If you are looking at getting into the cow/calf arena look at good crossbred cows. The reason Holsteins may be more prone to sicknrdd goes back to their first couple of days of life. Some dairys, knowing thry aren't worth much and they are going to dump them anywat, don't insure adequate chlostorum or bacis cleanliness and nutrition

dun

> I live in south central ky and was
> wondering if anyone knew the best
> breed to raise around here or just
> the best breed anywhere. I have
> been raising holstein stears but
> price is getting lower and
> lower,plus some have said they are
> easier to get sick. any help would
> be appreciated. Thanks

> I live in south central ky and was
> wondering if anyone knew the best
> breed to raise around here or just
> the best breed anywhere. I have
> been raising holstein stears but
> price is getting lower and
> lower,plus some have said they are
> easier to get sick. any help would
> be appreciated. Thanks

We believe there is no one best breed for all farm situations. We also live in South Central KY and have Murray Greys. We REALLY like them for our grass finished beef operation - they are very efficient grazers. But, we direct market all our beef to consumers rather than selling at the sale barn, and that has an impact on your decision. You're welcome to visit an look at our Greys.

Alison

[email protected]

I live close to Louisville,Ky. Your best bet would be black baldies which always go high at the sale barn compared to anything else. I too have a Murray Grey along with baldies and belties. Murray Grey's are nice but so far from my experience knowone knows anything around here about the Murray Grey but the Breeder's. Athough I do like the Murray Grey alot, I would say the black baldie is the safest bet unless you want a registered breed like the Murray Grey or the Angus. Hope I helped at least a little.....

Latest posts