Breed Information

Help Support CattleToday:

F1's can be any number of combinations resulting in a first generation offspring from the mating of two full blooded bovines, such as the first generation offspring of a mating of Hereford & Angus (the result in my neck of the woods is called a "black baldy"); or a Gelbvieh/Angus mating (I think some folks refer to these as "Balancers"); or Hereford X Brahman.

I don't know about other parts of the country but, from a "commercial herd" standpoint, along the Gulf Coast region of Texas probably the most desired cow (based on the action at the spring and fall replacement sales) is the "tiger stripe", with black brangus a close second. The "tiger stripe" is just the common vernacular for a cow that is 50% Hereford and 50% Brahman, most typically the result of breeding a Brahman cow to a Hereford bull. These crosses attain good size, have good mothering abilities and can hack it quite well in our high heat, high humidity, high parasite environment. The hottest thing going in these parts seems to be using a Charolais bull on tiger stripe cows for a terminal cross. The resulting calves, in my experience, always seem to sell at the top of the market. Using a black Angus or black Brangus bull on tiger stripe cows also works well.

Arnold Ziffle":1t9wdmlo said:
F1's can be any number of combinations resulting in a first generation offspring from the mating of two full blooded bovines, such as the first generation offspring of a mating of Hereford & Angus (the result in my neck of the woods is called a "black baldy"); or a Gelbvieh/Angus mating (I think some folks refer to these as "Balancers"); or Hereford X Brahman.

I don't know about other parts of the country but, from a "commercial herd" standpoint, along the Gulf Coast region of Texas probably the most desired cow (based on the action at the spring and fall replacement sales) is the "tiger stripe", with black brangus a close second. The "tiger stripe" is just the common vernacular for a cow that is 50% Hereford and 50% Brahman, most typically the result of breeding a Brahman cow to a Hereford bull. These crosses attain good size, have good mothering abilities and can hack it quite well in our high heat, high humidity, high parasite environment. The hottest thing going in these parts seems to be using a Charolais bull on tiger stripe cows for a terminal cross. The resulting calves, in my experience, always seem to sell at the top of the market. Using a black Angus or black Brangus bull on tiger stripe cows also works well.
HI, I'M FROM MEXICO I DO JUST WATH YOU SAYD TIGERSTRIPES X CHAROLAIS AND IS AMAIZING. BUT HAVE THIS QUESTION ON THE TIGERSTRIPES WATH YOU THINK WILL BE BETTER FOR ME TO KEEP SOME REPLEASEMENTS A BLACK BRANGUS, BLACK BRANGUS OR BRAFORD

If I understand your question correctly I think you mean that you are considering keeping some replacement heifers born to your tigerstripe cows and you want to know which type of bull will give you better replacements -- Black Brangus or Braford. To that question I guess I would lean towards using a Black Brangus bull since I think you get a little more heterosis from the Angus component than you would with the Hereford component of the Braford (since your tigerstripes are already 50% Hereford). As you know, the Brangus cow is also very popular down south, for a lot of the same reasons that the tigerstripe cow is. Others may feel differently, but I think you are correct in not even thinking about keeping any of the Charolais sired heifers as replacements. I think the Charolais sire on tigerstripe cows is possibly the best true terminal cross going for your environment.

However, I guess if I were in your shoes my first thought would be to just consider buying some young tigerstripe cattle as replacements and keep using the Charolais bulls. But in my part of Texas just about everbody breeds their tigerstripe HEIFERS to a Black Angus or Black Brangus bull because of birth weight issues. Are there any good tigerstripes offered for sale by others in your part of Mexico? I guess at this time you could not import any from Texas even if you wanted to, could you? (because of the BSE issue) If the restrictions get lifted pretty soon you may want to visit some of the south Texas replacement cattle auctions this spring. There is a big sale coming up real soon down in Nixon, Texas that usually has many quality tigerstripes for sale. Good luck to you. Arnold Ziffle

What a quandry, that many choices to decide between. I would think that any of the above would work well, just depends on how much heterosis you wan and how much Brahman influence you need in your animals. Your market also makes a significant difference as to acceptance.

dun

JAIME FLORES":bklbga8m said:
Arnold Ziffle":bklbga8m said:

HI, I'M FROM MEXICO I DO JUST WATH YOU SAYD TIGERSTRIPES X CHAROLAIS AND IS AMAIZING. BUT HAVE THIS QUESTION ON THE TIGERSTRIPES WATH YOU THINK WILL BE BETTER FOR ME TO KEEP SOME REPLEASEMENTS A BLACK BRANGUS, BLACK BRANGUS OR BRAFORD

dun":2ne6ihki said:
What a quandry, that many choices to decide between. I would think that any of the above would work well, just depends on how much heterosis you wan and how much Brahman influence you need in your animals. Your market also makes a significant difference as to acceptance. WATH ABOUT TO LEAVE FOR REPLEASEMENTS HAIFERS FROM BLACK BRANGUS COWS X CHAROLAIS BULL AND THEN SIRE WITH CHAROLAIS AS A TERMINAL

dun

JAIME FLORES":2ne6ihki said:
Arnold Ziffle":2ne6ihki said:

JAIME FLORES":1ez4w4tg said:
Arnold Ziffle":1ez4w4tg said:

if you are keeping heifers, why don't try to use another breed with your tigerstripes, maybe Simmental or Simbrah or any other breed with good maternal traits