Breed guess

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms

Reaction score
Guess what breeds made this one.

423036CE-2EC7-46C9-9612-DC1723E6D9C5-1506-0000032CC5B0ABD7_zpsbf9cd84d.jpg

jasonleonard":3qjs2d65 said:
I think he is that new breed.... "Denver Martin $2 a pounders"!!!
Naa, I let him get to big for that. He was a twin that I weaned at 7 months and fed another 4 1/2, sold him at about a year old at 860lbs for 1.64cwt 1410$ yearling, and had another just about like him from the same cow.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1ny2vubc said:
I doubt there is Corriente or even Holstein in that steer. Maybe Limo? Not a bad looking steer.
That's problem, a calf at that age don't show much of the breed characteristics as even a F1 Angus x Holstein or F1 Corriente x Angus looks like an angus calf at that age...

Ok, it's not that he is a bunch of weird breeds, just that he's a bunch of breeds. I bought some 3 year old char cross cows that were bred to a red gelbvieh bull, the guy had raised the cows and these 10 were all he had left, most were white, but 2 of the cows were 3/4 Charolais 1/4 brangus and one of them had twins, so the calf in the picture is out of a red gelbvieh bull and a 3/4 char 1/4 brangus cow. I was just surprised that a twin made up of all those breeds could turn out that nice.

denvermartinfarms":1bp2m11f said:
Ok, it's not that he is a bunch of weird breeds, just that he's a bunch of breeds. I bought some 3 year old char cross cows that were bred to a red gelbvieh bull, the guy had raised the cows and these 10 were all he had left, most were white, but 2 of the cows were 3/4 Charolais 1/4 brangus and one of them had twins, so the calf in the picture is out of a red gelbvieh bull and a 3/4 char 1/4 brangus cow. I was just surprised that a twin made up of all those breeds could turn out that nice.

It is proof again that breed differences (complimentarity) can be exploited successfully in composites, even if it is by accident. Extending that thought, just think what the possibilities could be by careful balancing of traits and characteristics in a planned program, with EPD's and DNA markers given genuine consideration! :help:

DOC HARRIS

Taurus":2x2xjfjy said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":2x2xjfjy said:
I doubt there is Corriente or even Holstein in that steer. Maybe Limo? Not a bad looking steer.
That's problem, a calf at that age don't show much of the breed characteristics as even a F1 Angus x Holstein or F1 Corriente x Angus looks like an angus calf at that age...

Out here, a calf with Holstein or Corriente is obvious, at just about any age (but really post 30 days)! They do not show the muscle capacity, and even at the sale barn are docked (even if solid black). They do not look like an Angus calf to me! Our cousins run a Holstein dairy, and breed all their heifers AI to Angus. Yep, everyone looks like a half dairy, even though they have mostly black coats. But the steers get better money than had they been pure Holstein.
Now that we know what he is, I can see the Gelbvieh in him. His head has that shape.

Fire Sweep Ranch":3j7wy9bp said:
Taurus":3j7wy9bp said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":3j7wy9bp said:

Out here, a calf with Holstein or Corriente is obvious, at just about any age (but really post 30 days)! They do not show the muscle capacity, and even at the sale barn are docked (even if solid black). They do not look like an Angus calf to me! Our cousins run a Holstein dairy, and breed all their heifers AI to Angus. Yep, everyone looks like a half dairy, even though they have mostly black coats. But the steers get better money than had they been pure Holstein.
Now that we know what he is, I can see the Gelbvieh in him. His head has that shape.
Yup you are right, they starts to looks like a half dairy or half corriente....when they get older and lost all milk fat!

To be fair he looks like just a regular angus calf, nothing special about that calf.

Latest posts