Breed Composition

Help Support CattleToday:

Hoser

Reaction score
What breed do you think this cow is? I would guess limo cross.
I worked at a feedlot from 15-18 and my boss ended up giving me this cow as a heifer because she was getting mobbed by steers. They didn't want to buy any heifers but ended up with her by mistake in a group of steer calves. Anyways, she's been a good producer for being a feedlot heifer. I've always bred her to Black Angus bulls and gotten black calves until a couple of years ago she pushed out this grey one. I kept the grey heifer and bred her to a Hereford and she threw a nice strawberry coloured heifer calf. I know the breed(s) of all my cattle except these two, what do you guys think?

Could be Gelvbieh carrying a dilutor gene. That would explain the grey calf.

Were her ears froze off....Definitely a diluter in there somewhere. She looks more limo to me with those lighter circles around her eyes.

Along with the eyes she passes those little ears to her offspring. There aren't many Gelbvieh cattle out there with that kind of ear on them. They also tend to have a much more pronounced poll.

3waycross":3bsbufkg said:
Were her ears froze off....Definitely a diluter in there somewhere. She looks more limo to me with those lighter circles around her eyes.

Along with the eyes she passes those little ears to her offspring. There aren't many Gelbvieh cattle out there with that kind of ear on them. They also tend to have a much more pronounced poll.
Her ears weren't froze they are just weird. Yeah I'm pretty sure shes limo too, i noticed little horns on her (polled hereford sired) bull calf this year after making this post. Do limos have the diluter gene?

Just a thought, what about Tarantaise?
Could be she was a Char x Limo or something to carry a diluter gene as well, Gelbvieh certainly a possibility as well.

Odds are there is Simmental somewhere in the woodpile. Numbers wise there are a lot more Simmental in that part of the country than the rest of the breeds mentioned.

I know there's a breeder in the peace river area.. used to be here, Dylan Biggs.. was just featured in a western producer article too.. has some nice stock.

Nesikep":17n58tqf said:
I know there's a breeder in the peace river area.. used to be here, Dylan Biggs.. was just featured in a western producer article too.. has some nice stock.
Oh cool, I'm just an hour and a half from Peace River. I'll have to go for a tour.

Latest posts