Breed Character What happened to it?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

herefordkid

Reaction score
I've been scouting a lot of county and state fairs lately and i must say what happened to breed character? In the breeding classes they seem to have forgotten what breeds are supposed to look like. This is something that has befuddled me for a while now. We pay these judges to pick the best and yet they are completely disregarding breed character. Now I know this isn't something that will make or break a class but I'm noticing this trend taking over in the fields too. Everything from Angus bulls that dont look anything like bulls at all to Shorthorns that are supposed to be purebred that aren't even recognizable. I think we need to get back to basics. I fear that if producers don't be careful this will cost more than eye appeal it could go so far as to cost in structural correctness as well as brood cow potential. So in short quit making purebreds look like show steers lets get back to basics before we lose too much. Feel free to comment.

I am not overly worried about it. The only purpose of beef cows are too breed, raise a marketable calf, that will go to a feedlot, perform, grade, and produce a tender, tasty steak on a plate. ANYthing that does not contribute to those goals can be jettisoned. When I was in college, we had slides where we had too identify the breed from the picture. I would have to ride a long time too find a Chianina, Simmental, Gelbvieh, or Maine Anjou that looked anything like the animal in that picture 20 years ago.

I am hoping there will be some people like Jim lentz or similiar to preserve them while others chase fads.

So, you're thinkin that the integrity of a breed should be protected? I like that idea... ;-) Never really understood why the first thing many want to do to a breed is turn it black and knock the horns off.... :? :roll:

In certain parts of the country the same thing is happening to the human race , enough said!

herefordkid":2sgn5p8r said:
I've been scouting a lot of county and state fairs lately and i must say what happened to breed character? In the breeding classes they seem to have forgotten what breeds are supposed to look like. This is something that has befuddled me for a while now. We pay these judges to pick the best and yet they are completely disregarding breed character. Now I know this isn't something that will make or break a class but I'm noticing this trend taking over in the fields too. Everything from Angus bulls that dont look anything like bulls at all to Shorthorns that are supposed to be purebred that aren't even recognizable. I think we need to get back to basics. I fear that if producers don't be careful this will cost more than eye appeal it could go so far as to cost in structural correctness as well as brood cow potential. So in short quit making purebreds look like show steers lets get back to basics before we lose too much. Feel free to comment.

I think you're in danger of confusing the show ring with beef production.

herefordkid":2qoep0q7 said:
Breed character has changed several times over with most every breed. What point in time do you want breed character to be set? Also breed character may be defined in one country different than in another.

novatech":1bjb220j said:
Breed character has changed several times over with most every breed. What point in time do you want breed character to be set? Also breed character may be defined in one country different than in another.

I think there are a lot of people within the Hereford breed, that believe if you can breed back in to them the qualities, that they had that made them extremely popular years ago, before the bad management and fads somewhat ruined their reputation, some of the market share they lost would be gained back.

Seems as though today breeders are focusing to much on the EPD numbers and not enough on the phenotype of the entire animal. The chase for rib eye has led to a lot of long butt less EPD busters. I prefer cattle that are thick, deep, not so long and a lot of rump. An animal that seems in proportion. I think most of the cattle were like this back in the 60's, a big cow weighed over a thousand, then people started wanting big tall cattle. When EPDs came along and people saw some marketing value the phenotype seemed to change.
I do like the fact that many Hereford people are breeding in some eye pigment. I know a lot of people that won,t have white face cattle only because of eye problems.

For Herefords to regain a large market share they need to over come 2 big obstacles. Until CHB is as popular as CAB they're in a hole. The other thing to overcome is perception. With more and more eateries claiming angus this and angus that consumers perception is going to be anything that isn't angus (or touted as being angus) will be a second rate piece of meat.

dun":29w1ome7 said:
For Herefords to regain a large market share they need to over come 2 big obstacles. Until CHB is as popular as CAB they're in a hole. The other thing to overcome is perception. With more and more eateries claiming angus this and angus that consumers perception is going to be anything that isn't angus (or touted as being angus) will be a second rate piece of meat.

I agree...CAB has been a powerful marketing tool...

And with producers- Herefords have to overcome the old perception of the old Hereford cattle that were prown to prolapse, cancer eyes, and sunburned/chapped teats....

50 years ago this country up here was almost all Herefords- now you see very few....Mostly all angus based- black or red....

Oldtimer":h3jd3ly8 said:
dun":h3jd3ly8 said:

I agree...CAB has been a powerful marketing tool...

And with producers- Herefords have to overcome the old perception of the old Hereford cattle that were prown to prolapse, cancer eyes, and sunburned/chapped teats....

50 years ago this country up here was almost all Herefords- now you see very few....Mostly all angus based- black or red....
It;s the same around here. At least most of the cattle are black, hard to tell about angus or not. But nearly every herd except the purebred have a cow or 2 or 3 or more that have Hereford somwhere in the backgorund.

Should a person consider breed character in regardes to crossing horned and polled Herefords? I have know doubt that the first cross will produce a powerful bull calf, but will that animal breed true to it's self? Will that bull produce a uniform calf crop? What can my bull buyer expect? What happens 4 or 5 generations later? Will I be producing a consistent, identifiable, uniform product, that my customers can come to rely on, by the brand name that I choose to give it?...or will I have the best of what both horned and polled genetics have to offer???? Do you all have some imput on that???? :???:

CKC1586":ikz1irip said:
So, you're thinkin that the integrity of a breed should be protected? I like that idea... ;-) Never really understood why the first thing many want to do to a breed is turn it black and knock the horns off.... :? :roll:

amen!

if you think your breed would be a better choice than Angus, why would you make your animal more like an Angus?

Watertondifter":1uwvkarv said:
Should a person consider breed character in regardes to crossing horned and polled Herefords? I have know doubt that the first cross will produce a powerful bull calf, but will that animal breed true to it's self? Will that bull produce a uniform calf crop? What can my bull buyer expect? What happens 4 or 5 generations later? Will I be producing a consistent, identifiable, uniform product, that my customers can come to rely on, by the brand name that I choose to give it?...or will I have the best of what both horned and polled genetics have to offer???? Do you all have some imput on that???? :???:

i say you are thinking in the right direction.

anytime you outcross, the level of prepotency and consistency will most likely drop in the resulting progeny of the outcrossed animal.

Thank you all for your imput :tiphat: I apoligize that i cant respond to you all. However i feel that in my own opperation I am trying to return to the breed standard of the European phenotype. I understand that many of you agree so my intention was to raise awareness more or less and i dont feel that i am confussing the show ring with production cattle.

Aero":2i66m1m5 said:
CKC1586":2i66m1m5 said:

amen!

if you think your breed would be a better choice than Angus, why would you make your animal more like an Angus?
Exactly! :clap: :nod:

I have probably missed something somewhere but in the start of this post you talked about breed character and mentioned british breeds. Then later you mention returning to the 'European' phenotype. My question is what breed or breeds are you working with in your operation. I can't help but think a definition of breed character within the context of a 'european phenotype' is in order.

capt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts