Breed and Bloodline

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
Another little chat room poll about your chosen breed and your favorite bloodline(s) that you use. Our's is Angus and DHD Traveler 6807 line

Jake":23splq7i said:
Another little chat room poll about your chosen breed and your favorite bloodline(s) that you use. Our's is Angus and DHD Traveler 6807 line

Breed-----------Angus
Bloodlines------Ext--Emulous & Scotch Cap & Hoff Limited Edition

Red Angus - diverse, but mostly Glacier or Buffalo Creek bulls. Polled Hereford Feltons 517. Actually we have never looked for 517 but it seems that the majority of the bulls that work for us are sons or grandsons

dun

Jake":3mug3axe said:

we're polled hereford & to sum it up we look for maternal lines.....good calves start w/good cows. a large number of our cows have victor bloodlines (103T & 2105). these are bloodlines known for their high maternal traits. we then use a.i. bulls w/more growth but also try to make sure they're from high-producing females as well. another thing we try to breed for is eye pigmentation (being in south-central tx this is important to us). as in the earlier poll about what to look for, of conformation is also important as well as calving ease, birthweights. basically, the total package.

we use brangus bulls on some of our polled hereford cows & we're not quite as picky about bloodlines.....we look at growth (for the steers) & maternal (for replacement heifers). our latest brangus bull is a confederate son.

Angus here, too. We've been very happy with some 6807 sons, but now many of our cows have 6807 and EXT influence. Since our bull customers want tall bulls, we have been using bigger framed bulls. 5175, Neutron 377, and 036.

Angus
bloodlines are diverse pine drive big sky, wye bloodlines, 60e, scotch cap, offspring of band 234 of ideal 3163, high pockets, euston durness 52b, ext 473, schurrtop supreme, neutron 377, hall of fame 8023, checkmate, 2100, lucy boys, bcc bushwacker 41-93

Patrick Bates
Norwest Angus

Boy I haven't heard of the Wye herd in years

dun

pat b":3di169xu said:
Angus
bloodlines are diverse pine drive big sky, wye bloodlines, 60e, scotch cap, offspring of band 234 of ideal 3163, high pockets, euston durness 52b, ext 473, schurrtop supreme, neutron 377, hall of fame 8023, checkmate, 2100, lucy boys, bcc bushwacker 41-93

Patrick Bates
Norwest Angus

dun":35spg0ym said:

dun

pat b":35spg0ym said:
Angus

Patrick Bates
Norwest Angus

Wye Plantation was donated to the University of Maryland
several years ago. I think they have an annual bull sale.
You are right, not much said about them, no promotion except
a few small ads in Angus Publications.

dun said:

dun

Hi Dun I did a 3 generation pedigree check on some of the cows when we bought them. 3 generation back on several of the cow lines was back in the late 50's early sixtys. These cows have been the foundation of the herd plus others that were bought at New England and Maine Angus sales. The wye herd sure made its mark on the Angus breed.

pat

The knock on Wye is/was apparently they were smaller framed then became favored in late years. When we started out AI service, Commodore of Wye was a very heavily used bull. I've looked back at my old semen catalogs and can't find any reference to him at all. I seem to recall I really liked his squatty little calves that really put on meat.

dun

PAT B":2gyqsoif said:
dun":2gyqsoif said:

dun

Hi Dun I did a 3 generation pedigree check on some of the cows when we bought them. 3 generation back on several of the cow lines was back in the late 50's early sixtys. These cows have been the foundation of the herd plus others that were bought at New England and Maine Angus sales. The wye herd sure made its mark on the Angus breed.

pat

My bull supplier is giving me low birthweight 1/2 brother sons of New Design 878 this year. Best angus bulls I had were sons of Fortune 2000, California Traveller and Blockbuster- Fortune 2000 heifers are fantastic- California Traveller and Blockbuster son bred heifers squirted calves out before you could check on them. The older I get the lazier I get- I like light birthweight calves that aren't stunted by calving problems and that have the vigor to be up and and sucking in a couple minutes in 20 below weather.

Commercial Brangus and angus momma's bred to Camp Cooley brangus (Transformer bloodline) and a hereford bull from the Embracer bloodline

Latest posts