Breech Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Faith":6d5nbjeq said:
I went down this morning to check the cows. I was later than usual because we had a water valve break when we tried to turn it on and that took awhile to get fixed.

Found one of my older cows in a valley w/ her calf. I knew something was wrong from the beginning, just wasn't laying right. Got down there and rubbed it a bit and done all the usual stuff. Then we tried to help it stand up. It's a heifer calf and I'd guess around 60 lbs at the most. She wouldn't put her back legs under her w/ any weight. They just folded up. One front leg would straighten a bit but the other one would fold up...I've seen that but never seen the back legs act like that.

It looked like she'd had a hard labor and the calf looked a lil worse for wear. I've never had one that came backwards or breech that I've seen and knew about. I was wondering if these symptoms were of a birth like that?

I tubed her w/ some colostrum and gave her a couple of shots. Will check on her in a couple of hours to see if she has stood up yet.
I hope one of the shots was BOsE

Dun - you're starting to sound like ME! I can't tell people enough how important the SE is to the newborn. But, first, the cow should have been receiving adequate amounts in their loose mineral program. Many don't want to hear that because "it costs too much". If you save 1 calf --- THAT can pay for your years supply of GOOD mineral & all the MuSe shots.
Not saying that this is absolutely what's wrong with this calf - but "most" calves that are born weak, or have weak joints, or are listless, or don't know how to suck, the list goes on - it's due to Selineum deficiency.

I keep mineral, loose mineral, and salt out to my cows. I replace it when they have consumed what I have out for them. I am running the family farm after my Grandpa passed away and trying to catch up on some of the meds that I don't know about. I have done quite a bit of reading here and some other places.

We went back down to check her and give mom some hay. Got her to standing and she stood for quite some time alone. Will feed her more colostrum tonight.

Faith - it's a never ending learning process. Do you know if there is added Selenium in your mineral mix. Some have it, some don't. Also, you said you gave the calf shots, was one of them BoSe?
Two feedings of colostrum is good. It's good you're getting her up. Sounds like she is very weak. If the dam is thin, it could be weak calf syndrome, it could be Selenium deficient, it could be a very hard labor leaving the calf exhausted - many things.

I did not have any BoSe to give her. I called all the farm supply stores in the area and couldn't find any. Then I called my vet and he said to stop by the office tomorrow and he would give it to me. He said it sounded to him like it was just a difficult birth. She is not a very big calf. Mom looks great w/ plenty of milk and not much weight loss. That is one reason why I thought the calf had come backwards and that it's hind legs wouldn't straighten out. We got them in the barn for the night...Not in the usual pen cuz a busted shut off valve flooded that before we could get another shut off. They are safe, warm and out of the weather for tonight. Momma has fresh water and hay.

I'll check them before bed and again in the night. Thanks for the encouragement, needed it today...lol

Faith":1aefruee said:
I did not have any BoSe to give her. I called all the farm supply stores in the area and couldn't find any. Then I called my vet and he said to stop by the office tomorrow and he would give it to me. He said it sounded to him like it was just a difficult birth. She is not a very big calf. Mom looks great w/ plenty of milk and not much weight loss. That is one reason why I thought the calf had come backwards and that it's hind legs wouldn't straighten out. We got them in the barn for the night...Not in the usual pen cuz a busted shut off valve flooded that before we could get another shut off. They are safe, warm and out of the weather for tonight. Momma has fresh water and hay.

I'll check them before bed and again in the night. Thanks for the encouragement, needed it today...lol
BoSe being a perscription drug you csn only get it from a vet, or from someone that has a bottle of it sitting aorund. You won;t find it in the feedstores.

BoSe being a perscription drug you csn only get it from a vet, or from someone that has a bottle of it sitting aorund. You won;t find it in the feedstores.[/quote]

I know that now.

Backwards Calves are a interesting problem,to say the least. In past years we have had 8-10 in a row and then no more. You get so paranoid that you watch every cow like a heifer. It can't hardley be genetics as we use at least 10 bulls in single sire pastures,and the calves may be from several sires.It is areal puzzle and no of no one who can come up with a reasonible answer. Calves to big? Not neccesarily the case. Cow to small, not that either. We can save 95% of them but it takes al lot of time and work. I'm fairly sure that it is just another curve ball that mother nature throws to seeif we are paying attention. .