Bred Hereford cow prices

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I've been searching for bred Hereford cows around ages 3-6 yrs. The price range has been anywhere from $1200 to $2500 for a bred Hereford cow. One guy wanted $1850 for a 10 yr. old cow--( I thought that was crazy). Another wanted $2500 each which I thought was crazy high also. Am I being unrealistic? I missed out on some quality commercial Herefords that were bred and 3-4 yrs. old for $800 each! Dang it!! I'll just wait until prices drop some or I just won't buy any, $2500 for a bred cow seems wrong when I put a pencil to it.

tncattle":3128f966 said:
I've been searching for bred Hereford cows around ages 3-6 yrs. The price range has been anywhere from $1200 to $2500 for a bred Hereford cow. One guy wanted $1850 for a 10 yr. old cow--( I thought that was crazy). Another wanted $2500 each which I thought was crazy high also. Am I being unrealistic? I missed out on some quality commercial Herefords that were bred and 3-4 yrs. old for $800 each! Dang it!! I'll just wait until prices drop some or I just won't buy any, $2500 for a bred cow seems wrong when I put a pencil to it.
Folks are pricing commercial grade cattle at these prices??? Unreal...hope they're not hoping for a quick sale. Herefords don't sell good at all around here so you could probably get a bred cow for $800-900..Even where they sell much better you'd think you could buy them for $1200-1400 tops. I"ll sell you some brangus for that price. ;-)

bigbull338":2iv2zqmr said:
those prices better be for reg hereford cows.aint no 10yr old worth $1800.

They were all reg. except the $800 ones. But a 10 yr. old reg. Hereford still ain't worth $1800 to me. I don't mind paying $1200-$1500 tops but that's my limit and like I said I just won't buy any if they are more than that or priced right but not quality.

tncattle":2514bq47 said:
bigbull338":2514bq47 said:

They were all reg. except the $800 ones. But a 10 yr. old reg. Hereford still ain't worth $1800 to me. I don't mind paying $1200-$1500 tops but that's my limit and like I said I just won't buy any if they are more than that or priced right but not quality.

Ok- The registered deal is a little different.

Are you wanting to raise registered Herefords or just commerical?

It seems to me like that is the decision you need to make.

Also what bulls are they bred to? What sort of conformation etc... Registerable calves??? Lots of factors in the price. I've had people call me out of the blue wanting to know if I had any Hereford cows for sale. Naturally this happened AFTER I took a couple of my larger ones to the sale barn!

Jim

CPL":2xcqqkg3 said:
tncattle":2xcqqkg3 said:
bigbull338":2xcqqkg3 said:

Ok- The registered deal is a little different.

Are you wanting to raise registered Herefords or just commerical?

It seems to me like that is the decision you need to make.

I had thought I could buy some decent registered bred Hereford cows and start my commercial herd with high quality mama cows. Eventually putting an Angus bull on them of which I have good access to registered Angus bulls from a good family friend. I guess I could have underestimated what I will need to pay to get those Hereford cows. Maybe I should go straight into registered Herefords and stay with it but I figured that would be a $ pit I would never get out of. Thinking.....

the top end is $1500 as far as reg cows go.but right now people are in a buying frezny pushing some cattle prices to high.i stepped into a good deal for my nephew,because a guy got tight needing money.so i bought a reg 5yr cow/ with 4 month old heifer calf for $1500.if she is open ill breed her to my bull.

bigbull338":3hdbmee4 said:
the top end is $1500 as far as reg cows go.but right now people are in a buying frezny pushing some cattle prices to high.i stepped into a good deal for my nephew,because a guy got tight needing money.so i bought a reg 5yr cow/ with 4 month old heifer calf for $1500.if she is open ill breed her to my bull.
Yea but that was just an ol beefmaster............this fellow is talking Hereford ;)

I started out wanting herefords, found only a few and the price was high.. I bought Black Angus cows and have a Hereford bull from time to time....Lot more Black Angus around, cheaper price, and I think better Cows for your money...I have about any % hereford to Black angus that you can come up with, but my herd is still Black...A Black Angus Bull makes all the calves nearly solid black...

Reg. cows are going to be more expensive, and should be. There is more possiblity for a reg cow to make you more money. Of course if you are looking for a cow that will produce a stocker calf every year just buy some good grade cows.

Buy commerical cows if you are putting a black bull on them.

Herefords are not common here and the price is spotty, especially if they are horned. Fall of 09 I could buy Hereford cows for $475 to $550. They are a $1,000 now...

If you're trying for some F-1 cows, why not buy them already made? If you want the F-1 crosses to sell , then that's a different matter. gs

plumber_greg":10m1iva2 said:
If you're trying for some F-1 cows, why not buy them already made? If you want the F-1 crosses to sell , then that's a different matter. gs

I'm wanting to sell F-1 crosses.

tn,
Check the sale barn data. 4-8 year bred cows are 700-850 range at the "replacement" sales. It's a bad winter and there are some decent cows getting dumped right now.

shaz":wv4d1thl said:
tn,
Check the sale barn data. 4-8 year bred cows are 700-850 range at the "replacement" sales. It's a bad winter and there are some decent cows getting dumped right now.

I just don't feel good about buying from the sale barn. Probably to big a risk for me to go that route.

I can't figure out what's wrong with the price of Hereford cows here. We advertised 25 head, 20 of them were coming 3 & 4 this year. About 15 were bred to a registered Angus, the rest were bred to our Hereford herdsire. We priced them at $1200/head and half the people said that was too much and never even came to look. The first guy that came to look bought 10 of the young cows bred to Angus. We dropped the price a bit. We decided we have enough hay to get us through until May, we're not dropping the price any more. We'll calve and sell off some pairs.

theres more people than you know wanting to buy cows as cheap as they can.an i cant blame them,its their money.

You're right, bigbull, they want them as cheap as they can get them. I had one guy say we were too expensive, he just sold two of his for about $750/head at the salebarn. I almost told him to go buy some at the salebarn to replace them, if that's all he wanted to pay. Anyway, the guy who bought 10 two weeks ago just called and asked if he could come pick out 5 or 6 more at the same price. I guess some people understand value vs. price.

Latest posts