Bred Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

dompeters84

Reaction score
I have 5 AI bred heifers due to give birth on Jan 10th. I am wanting to put them in the barn in individuel stalls. How do you tell when they are close? Any pics of this would help. Thanks.

I know everyone's situation is different, but why close them in the barn. Unless you have extreme conditions it is usually best to let them calve outside. I's really hard to get them into the barn within a day or two of calving. You may wind up confining some several days.

I forget where you're located. Yes, as blacksnake says, the pasture is cleaner than a dirty barn stall. It's also difficult to confine them, especially if they are not used to being locked in a stall, and this will be stressful to them.

It is helpful, especially with heifers, to keep them in a smaller pasture/enclosure so that you can keep an eye on them and assist if needed, and that way you're not stumbling around a large pasture in the dark to find a heifer in labor.

Hope that all goes well for you and them and that they calve safely!

we were thinking about bringing them in last night because it was going to get cold. 18 and very windy. wind chill would have been close to 8

Latest posts