bred heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

KS Cattle

Reaction score
Sorted out a group of 20 heifers out of a pen of 165 that we have been drylotting all winter. The intent is to keep 15 to breed this spring. They weigh about 750lbs. The vet was out to pelvic check them and noticed one was 6 months bred. Which means she was bred when we bought her last fall at the sale barn when she probably weighed 550lbs give or take. The rest of the heifers are sold to a feedlot in Iowa and are leaving next week.
Question. What to do with this bred heifer? Can't send it to Iowa. The vet said he could abort it but it would be difficult. Leaning towards calving it out but what are the pros and cons. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would not abort a 6 month bred heifer - likely to do more damage than good. If it makes you feel any better we had 2 heifers that calved right at a year old a couple of years back. Yes, both of them needed help, but both calves made it and both heifers (and one calf - the other calf was a bull) went on to take their place in the herd with no problems. We creep fed both calves so as to not drag down the heifers, since they were still developing themselves.

What about the other 145 heifers? Did they come from the same breeder? There may be more than one bred.
At most of our "organized" sales, the heifers are guaranteed open. If not, seller has to make good.

We have one very similar to yours. She will calve here in April, at about 16 months old. A little young, but I'm not too concerned about it. She probably weighs around 900#. I wouln't abort the one you have. You will want to feed her well enough to keep her in condition and then keep an eye on her in June when she's due. You may have to help her, but I have seen others calve on their own. Good luck.

do not abort a 6 month bred heifer.its to dangerious for the heifer.an most likey youd ruin or lose her trying to slump a calf that far along.the only choice you have is to calve her out.an help her if she has probs.by my way of thinking that heifer will be 15 to 17 months old when she calves.

thanks for the tips, we will calf her out. while we mostly buy off of ranches in the Dakotas or Montana, this pen was local put togethers.

TREY-L":1sbdi8sz said:
If it makes you feel any better we had 2 heifers that calved right at a year old a couple of years back.

Hugh? They bred at 90 days old?

They were 2 of the biggest heifers we had that year. We started calving in March the previous year, and one heifer calved the end of March/first part of April and the other one calved the end of April/first part of May. At that time I wasn't keeping my own set of records, so I don't know the birthdates of these particular heifers.

Latest posts