bred heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a heifer that was bred last year to calf sometime after 2/24. About a week ago I noticed swelling around her vulva and when she walks the swelling is loose like jelly. There is no prolapse and she otherwise seems in good health. Should I be concerned? I have other heifers that seem farther along with no similar swelling.

[email protected]

If you are talking about the skin around her vulva getting puffy, wrinkley and jiggling when she walks, that just indicates her ligaments are relaxing and preparing for calving. Her pinbones will also become more prominent as ligaments relax and the skin loosens.

If you are seeing something protruding from her vulva & it's been over an hour, that is abnormal and she needs an exam.

> I have a heifer that was bred last
> year to calf sometime after 2/24.
> About a week ago I noticed
> swelling around her vulva and when
> she walks the swelling is loose
> like jelly. There is no prolapse
> and she otherwise seems in good
> health. Should I be concerned? I
> have other heifers that seem
> farther along with no similar
> swelling.

Thanks. She doesn't seem to be in labor. No broken water bag or anything protruding. Hips are somewhat pointed but I never saw these signs so early ahead of calfing in the past. Like I said originally, it's been about a week. My earlier experience w/ calfing is that once the hips drop we are looking at w/i a day.

[email protected]

The timing of the signs of impending birth vary from cow to cow, jerry. Some cows are easier to spot signs on, and some don't give you a clue. Most of ours calve within a week or two after the pinbones become prominent.

For many years our oldest cow would lose her mucous plug, then calve within 12 hours. Year after year, we could depend on the 12 hour timing. The past 4 years, though, she has lost her mucous plug about 7 or 8 days before calving. Healthy calves and a good mama, though.

> Thanks. She doesn't seem to be in
> labor. No broken water bag or
> anything protruding. Hips are
> somewhat pointed but I never saw
> these signs so early ahead of
> calfing in the past. Like I said
> originally, it's been about a
> week. My earlier experience w/
> calfing is that once the hips drop
> we are looking at w/i a day.

Latest posts