?bred heifer with thick yellow discharge

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
I have a 3yr Dexter heifer who was aI'd in the middle of June-- no sign of heat since. Yesterday I noticed quite a bit of very thick pale yellow discharge from her vulva... no odor to it, she seems fine-- good appetite, no fever.
Today the amount of discharge is less but it's still there--- and another heifer that I thought was bred ( same time frame) is mounting any cow she can :( but she does not have any discharge, and no cows are trying to mount her, so I don't know if she will stand.

I called the Vet he can come out tomorrow-- I've heard that palpating can can actually cause a miscarraige--

Would love to hear some opinions--

thanks!

Susie

I don't know anything about Dexters, but I for sure would not be afraid for my vet to palpate one of mine.
As for the discharge, if you've got the vet coming, I feel pretty confident in saying his/her opinion will be more important than anybody's internet guess.
Hope the news isn't too bad!

Thanks for the reply!
I guess I was wondering if anyone had had this happen with their cows.

It seems to be gone now, except for the remnants that were swished on her butt from her tail.

susie

susie":22hhbxhf said:
Thanks for the reply!
I guess I was wondering if anyone had had this happen with their cows.

It seems to be gone now, except for the remnants that were swished on her butt from her tail.

susie

Well we are not there so really we cannot speculate. Wait and see what the vet says. I dont think its anything to worry about but I am no vet.

I had a heifer with a lot of disharge when she was about 5 months bred the next day she aborted.

Katie":2qtf0nd5 said:
I had a heifer with a lot of disharge when she was about 5 months bred the next day she aborted.

That doesnt necessarily mean this one will. Cows have some discharge sometimes when heavy bred. Then the mucous plug comes and leaves a trail on the tail then they calve. Just cuz there is discharge dont mean its bad.

She's pregnant and has non- specific vaginitis- no treatment needed he said.
It worked out great that he came over one of my goats needed a shot because she keeps coming into heat every ten days.

From talking to the Vet it sounds like business is pretty slow, what with all the dairies shutting down. Their practice is limited to large animals. I was glad to give them some business, because it is so great to have them when I have a real cow emergency.

Susie

susie":31ktse7a said:
She's pregnant and has non- specific vaginitis- no treatment needed he said.
It worked out great that he came over one of my goats needed a shot because she keeps coming into heat every ten days.

From talking to the Vet it sounds like business is pretty slow, what with all the dairies shutting down. Their practice is limited to large animals. I was glad to give them some business, because it is so great to have them when I have a real cow emergency.

Susie

I figured there probably was no problem but it is always better to be "safe" than sorry. Especially, when they are "safe" in calf.

Latest posts