Bred Heifer Weights

Help Support CattleToday:

I want to comment on the remark about fat in the udder. If a heifer gets fat in the udder PRIOR TO BREEDING, the fat fills cells that will never produce milk. But, any fat a heifer puts on AFTER being pregnant, does not affect her milk production - at least that's what I've always been told thru extension.

It is very difficult for many breeders - new & old - to condition score pregnant females. Just because they look "full" doesn't mean they are in good condition. You need to look at their spine & ribs which can be difficult in the winter with their excess hair. I would never promote getting heifers fat prior to calving, BUT, I would rather calf out one a little too fat than one even a little too thin. Research has proven, thin heifers have a harder time calving than fat ones.
You don't want obese heifers, & I'm sure you could tell if they were obese.
It's easier to put some extra weight on them now rather than after they are in milk production nursing a calf.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3dhm3z63 said:
I want to comment on the remark about fat in the udder. If a heifer gets fat in the udder PRIOR TO BREEDING, the fat fills cells that will never produce milk. But, any fat a heifer puts on AFTER being pregnant, does not affect her milk production - at least that's what I've always been told thru extension.

It is very difficult for many breeders - new & old - to condition score pregnant females. Just because they look "full" doesn't mean they are in good condition. You need to look at their spine & ribs which can be difficult in the winter with their excess hair. I would never promote getting heifers fat prior to calving, BUT, I would rather calf out one a little too fat than one even a little too thin. Research has proven, thin heifers have a harder time calving than fat ones.
You don't want obese heifers, & I'm sure you could tell if they were obese.
It's easier to put some extra weight on them now rather than after they are in milk production nursing a calf.

Thanks Jeanne. I had a good look at all of them this morning. I didn't see any ribs or backbones and, all in all, they look to be in pretty good shape. Some are larger than others but that is probably due to the variation in birthdates (4 months). This is my first experience with Herefords so I'm probably being overly cautious.

Latest posts