bred heifer riding

Help Support CattleToday:

nobull82

Reaction score
This is my 2nd year of having bred cows and heifers and I noticed that a bred heifer Ibought was trying to ride a open cow. Should i be concerned that the heifer isn't bred or is that normal?

Nobull82 it is normal for bred cows/heifers to ride others in heat. Those in heat will also try to ride the breds. As Jerry said, the breds will not "stand". They will walk away.
I have had bred cows riding open cows right up to when they are ready to deliver.

nobull82":yemfowwr said:
This is my 2nd year of having bred cows and heifers and I noticed that a bred heifer I bought was trying to ride
an open cow. Should i be concerned that the heifer isn't bred or is that normal?
Yes it's normal.
The open cow is coming into heat and since you said "trying" the open cow was probably just coming into standing heat.
Obviously you don't A.I. or you would have been happy that the heifer detected it and you would've bred the cow.
If no bull is with them, mark your calendar and it should happen again in 21 days.
Otherwise the bull may have bred her today and if no activity in 21 days, you can assume the cow is pg to today's service.

Latest posts