Bred Heifer Pricing ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I saw form $1050 to $2150 this year on the bred heifers that I sold. Their only worth what someone is willing to bid on them. I bought 20 vet checked bred young cows for $700 adverage last fall. I don't have any idea what some folks are thinking.

It seem that the big bred cow sale here the coming second calve cows out do bred heifers by $100-$200. That is over the best heifers at the sale.

Dave":3o15nl45 said:
It seem that the big bred cow sale here the coming second calve cows out do bred heifers by $100-$200. That is over the best heifers at the sale.

Is this premium pretty consistent in your area, or were these reputation cattle?

That is every year for the last 9-10 years that I have attended that sale. Good market or bad it just runs about that. And that is beating some reputation heifers. Good looking coming with their second calf cows but no reputation that I know of. Certainly not from the same people every year.

I bought a set of bred heifers this year and had to pay a premium for them. From what I see it has allot to do with how tight they're bred and what time of year they calve. I needed a set to calve starting 1/15 and end no later than 3/1. Had to be black and to good low birthweight bulls. This was way harder to find than what I thought. Salebarn heifers are cheaper but who knows what you get. I talked to allot of people that couldn't tell me anything about the bull they bred to other than "black" and "low birthweight ".

Best bang for the buck is a good bred 3 yo. Hard to find a set of them though.

here at the regular country sale barn the first calf heifers take a big hit.
I know a man that bought 70 head a couple years back they were just sale barn first calf heifers, small ,and heavy bred, mostly reds and blacks, bred to who knows what. he got them cheap and made good on them in the fall. he had to pull 3 and lost one and came out great on them but there is no way I would jump into something like that.

BRYANT":1xoiugnr said:
here at the regular country sale barn the first calf heifers take a big hit.
I know a man that bought 70 head a couple years back they were just sale barn first calf heifers, small ,and heavy bred, mostly reds and blacks, bred to who knows what. he got them cheap and made good on them in the fall. he had to pull 3 and lost one and came out great on them but there is no way I would jump into something like that.

If all I did was cows I would try something like that. I think a man could make decent money, it's just too hard to babysit them with a regular job.

Latest posts