Bred Heifer Growth

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Kept quite a few heifers back the last two years. Have been selling a few of the biggest ones as breds. The boys really like large bred heifers around here. Keeping the moderate ones.

Have a fancy one that weaned a little small out of a purchased heifer. Supposed to be an AI Effective daughter. She really fell behind over the summer, and I am having second thoughts. Could sell her for a premium as a Pharo influenced bred ;-), or make burger... Where do you draw the line?

She's just extremely moderate!
As long as I figure they can calf out alright I'll give them a chance. I have one cow that is a bit a bony cow, but her calves are always thick and nice

Have had less problems with the small ones than the big ones. Small ones can only eat so much, which is much less than the big ones. As long as she is close to the 800 lb mark by end of the year, and bred to low birthweight/easy calver, she'll be good. Calved out a couple 900 lbers this spring with no issue - tiny calves - 70 lbers.

There have been "debates" about cow size, forever. Cows need to be the size that FITS your program and your ENVIRONMENT. Little cows out here turn into butterballs. First they start out as butterball weaned heifers that have fat udders, then they don't milk worth a darn as a dam, which makes them more of a butterball cow.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":74my5yaa said:
Little cows out here turn into butterballs. First they start out as butterball weaned heifers that have fat udders, then they don't milk worth a darn as a dam, which makes them more of a butterball cow.

Is that due to great pasture, or creep, or just genetics?

Great pastures. NY grows grass!!! and natural clover in all the fields. You can take a plowed piece of ground that grew up with weeds, mow it to control the weeds, and you will have lush grass & clover. Never dies out from heat (rarely have 90 degree days). It's green in the winter (if the snow melts & you can SEE it LOL)
I have been on this farm for 39 years, and we have never plowed up a pasture to replant.