Bred Heifer Bawling ?????

Help Support CattleToday:

OutWest

Reaction score
Hi to everyone, I love this site !! I usually find my answers here on your site for all my cattle questions.
OK my concern is I have a 18 mo. heifer who we A.I. the first of May so she's almost 5 months prego. I had her preg checked at 50 days and shes bred.
She will stand in the pasture with her head down and bawl like a bull with her tonge out and panting, she has done this laying down too. It last 1 minute and then she quits but she may do it again in a half hour or a hour later. Her health looks great, none of her pasture buddies are bugging her, shes not bloated? She has done this alot each day for quite awhile now.
I feel its her tummy or the pregnancy? She is the fattest heifer, and her belly is big, I wondered if maybe shes not passing gas like she should ? She on pasture for feed. I read there is a vaccine for over eaters ? She does not kick at her belly or lick it.
I remember her doing this maybe 2 months ago but she always looked fine and she runs with everyone, its so odd and I feel for her, it doesn't seem right. Has anyone experienced this I'd love to hear. Thank You !

What kind of temperatures and humidity are you experiencing?

Our weather has been nice, around 75. I was changeing pipes tonight and she started up so I stood in front of her stareing at her, she only pants because shes bawling, its usually 4 or 5 long bawls with her touge straight out. I was hopeing she was belching, kinda like she was bawling to get the belch out? But nothing obvious or smelly, I'm tempted to video her at least if I take her to the vet he can see what she does. I gave her a bloat block tonight hopeing it will help her tummy. I hope its not her baby.
Thanks for the reply.

I hope your right, my old timer true blue cowboy father in law just laughs at me on the phone, I think he thinks I'm alittle to involved with my cows. I don't know, shes never done this before being bred. I think somethings wrong I just don't know what yet.
I'll let ya know when I find out !
Thanks

OutWest":vpfu08q2 said:
Has anyone experienced this I'd love to hear. Thank You !

Yeah, we had a first time bred heifer that bellered 24 hours a day/7 days a week. She got on my nerves big time, because at first I assumed something was wrong, but after checking her a few times and finding nothing wrong, it became quite obvious she was simply being vocal, and it just became annoying. She eventually delivered, her calf was fine, but she kept bellering. I eventually learned to just tune her out. :roll:

is she drooling, does her hair look rough. is she grazing fescue pasture ? i have had one or two sensitive to fescue but they didn't bawl. they pant and hang thier tongue out like it is hot.

I don't write here often but I DO read the post almost daily. I enjoy everyones great info and it is really a site to learn about cattle. With that said. We had a heifer like this.... we don't have her any more we sold her... but she drove me crazy acting like this. We called her Miss MOO.. my kids were so glad the day she left! I am not saying that there is or is NOT anything wrong with your heifer but sometimes you just get one in the herd that likes to mouth off. :) Hope all goes well with the rest of her pregnancy. Good luck and keep us informed!

msscamp":rmlcr7pz said:
OutWest":rmlcr7pz said:
Has anyone experienced this I'd love to hear. Thank You !

Yeah, we had a first time bred heifer that bellered 24 hours a day/7 days a week. She got on my nerves big time, because at first I assumed something was wrong, but after checking her a few times and finding nothing wrong, it became quite obvious she was simply being vocal, and it just became annoying. She eventually delivered, her calf was fine, but she kept bellering. I eventually learned to just tune her out. :roll:

I had one I bought last year, every time I would drive by in the pasture she would run up, stretch out her neck and go to bellering, those long drawn out ones. Over and over, kind of reminded me of my sister :shock: always got something to say about everything. ;-) :lol: Considered putting her on the cull list because she was so irritating.

I'm happy to hear shes not the only vocal heifer out there !! I have not heard from her tonight, she was licking her bloat block. I was gone all day,I hope to watch her tommorrow some. Thank you for all your responses. I will check on the fescue pasture just in case, her coat is OK, some of the other heifers have better coats? I have not noticed her slobbering.
Did all of you guys vocal heifers stick their tongue out too? The only time I've seen a cow or calf stick their tongue out is if they are hot and traveling.
Thanks again : )

No, no tongue sticking out. She just liked to talk. It took a little while, but I got to the point that I recognized her beller and just ignored her.

Excessive mooing can be normal but the only times I have seen a cow stick out their tongues and bawl was when they were super excited, angry or in pain. I wouldn't chalk this up as being normal, but that is just me. I'd take her temp, check her faeces, check for tenderness in her stomach or maybe just call out the vet....

I have had cattle alergic to fescue that would lay down on the ground beller paw run and do all sorts of crazy things.The hooves are burning it is very painful.Put her up with hay feed and water.Not all fescue will do this to cattle but hay will cause this just like the regular pasture.It is the seed that causes this.So if you keep your pastures bush hogged down this will help the problem.

She seems to of quieted down, I haven't heard her bawl for a few days now. I have another concern on her, what are the early signs of having hardware in them? My sisters died of hardware last summer and I seen her when she was bad, her brisket and belly we're full. I noticed my heifer has a fat brisket and higher on top of her brisket is like a softball size bump, its soft, I don't know if its a fat roll above her fat brisket. That would explain her bellering if something sharp was going into her Reticulum ? She has a magnet in her, I put them in all my tame, nice cattle after my sister lost her cow. Maybe I'm being jumpy because of my sisters cow.
She has been acting totally normal, nice poop and chewing her cud, running with the other cows, she seems happy. Her brisket isn't huge its just kinda big, but her belly is big to and shes a small framed heifer.
Thanks for all your thoughts!

Normally the first signs of hardware are the cow will be humped up to a degree and when getting up and down will make kind of a "OOMPH" sound. Most of our cows came out of the summer with briskets that look like they have a basketball stached in there, but they're just plain FAT