Bred cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
I have a guy that wants to sell me 2 Cows that are bred to a Black Angus Bull. The cows are as follows, 2 years old and 3 years old so he says. Both are bred to black angus. One is a Charlay and the other is a Charlay Black Angus cross. He is asking 1500 for the pair. Is this a good price and would they be of breeding value for breeding to my full blood black angus. In other words what kind of calves would I get and would their calves be good sellers on the market? I just need some sound advise here please. Thanks, Tom

Tomcolvin":1o1bbgho said:
I have a guy that wants to sell me 2 Cows that are bred to a Black Angus Bull. The cows are as follows, 2 years old and 3 years old so he says. Both are bred to black angus. One is a Charlay and the other is a Charlay Black Angus cross. He is asking 1500 for the pair. Is this a good price and would they be of breeding value for breeding to my full blood black angus. In other words what kind of calves would I get and would their calves be good sellers on the market? I just need some sound advise here please. Thanks, Tom

The price is good. Did the 3 year old raise her first calf successfully?

Their calves, now and in the future, should do fine assuming they raise a good calf.

I'm not sure. I go look at them this coming Saturday.
He has started to buying young calves and feeding them out to sell for meat to private individuals. I would think they are about 3-4 months at the present time. I will call him today and find out.

TennesseeTuxedo":2ljtz5ai said:
Tomcolvin":2ljtz5ai said:

The price is good. Did the 3 year old raise her first calf successfully?

Their calves, now and in the future, should do fine assuming they raise a good calf.
In addition, I'd want more info on the 2 year old. You said "cow" so I'm assuming she already had her first calf. Any info on the bull other than Black Angus? EPD's? Whether or not the calves are good sellers is also contingent on your market.

They are due late March / April. The Charlay ( spelled wrong) is supposed to be full blooded and the 2nd cow is her calf ( now 2 years old) bred to a black angus. Will see them Saturday.

Will post pics when I get to see them. The 2 year old Is a heifer calf. Sorry I call her a cow. It will be her first time.

Another question on my mind is if and when I buy them , do I need to isolate them from my other cows for a couple of weeks.? Also I don't know if he gives shots.(black leg, pneumonia vaccine, worming shots and etc) just don't want to bring trouble to town if you know what I mean.

Tomcolvin":2g1r62en said:
Another question on my mind is if and when I buy them , do I need to isolate them from my other cows for a couple of weeks.? Also I don't know if he gives shots.(black leg, pneumonia vaccine, worming shots and etc) just don't want to bring trouble to town if you know what I mean.

Definetly find out about his vaccination program and if doesn't have one don't even go look at them.

You bring up a great point that I assume the rest of us simply took for granted.

I just texted him about the vaccines and he told me they have had them but they are not up to date. Saying this reminds me mind aren't either, I going to have to get on the ball and get this done. Some of mind have had the blackleg vaccine but the new calves haven't.

buy them, vaccinate them yourself. plenty of people dont vaccinate at all and never have issues. definately not a deal breaker for me

What are you all calling "Fully vaccinated"? Cattle can be vaccinated for every thing under the sun.....
Mine just get blackleg and tetanus.

The price is good, they are due in 2-3 months. Get a good KILLED VIRUS vaccine, so they don't abort like some live virus vaccines cause, vaccinate them, keep separate for a couple of weeks.
I know everyone talks about having a calf on the ground at 2 yrs old. We don't push ours, most calve between 27-30 months. It works for us. I also don't babysit my 1st calf heifers either. We use an easy calving bull and they drop them and go on. Not everyone's way but it works for us.
If you don't like them, they can be sold. If they raise the calves and don't breed back, they will bring enough salvage in cull price, you won't lose anything. If you like them, they will do good bred to your bull.

Latest posts