Bred cow??

Help Support CattleToday:

J

Reaction score
Ok here's the deal I have a cow, that has a calf at her side. I believe this calf was born 3/18/06, a heifer, but I'll need to check my records to be absolutely sure on the date but I am pretty sure about the month. Anyways the cow is just a cross that I picked up at the sale one day. 45 days after the calf was born they and a couple others went in with the my uncles bull. One week after being there the cow was standing for the bull and in the remining days we didn't see any action between the two. I assume she got bred? Today I saw her calf, that is basically 4 months old mount her. She only did it once then went on about her business and the cow just kept grazing. My question is.... could this mean the cows not bred?(in heat :shock: ) The heifer calf is in heat? (awful early :? )
Or nothing at all just being a rambuncious (sp?) calf? (playing)

I know the only way to really tell is to get her palpated, I was just hoping someone could tell me from experience.

J":1o69uaat said:
Ok here's the deal I have a cow, that has a calf at her side. I believe this calf was born 3/18/06, a heifer, but I'll need to check my records to be absolutely sure on the date but I am pretty sure about the month. Anyways the cow is just a cross that I picked up at the sale one day. 45 days after the calf was born they and a couple others went in with the my uncles bull. One week after being there the cow was standing for the bull and in the remining days we didn't see any action between the two. I assume she got bred? Today I saw her calf, that is basically 4 months old mount her. She only did it once then went on about her business and the cow just kept grazing. My question is.... could this mean the cows not bred?(in heat :shock: ) The heifer calf is in heat? (awful early :? )
Or nothing at all just being a rambuncious (sp?) calf? (playing)

I know the only way to really tell is to get her palpated, I was just hoping someone could tell me from experience.

Normal calf behaviour. Unless she is being ridden by others I would carry on about my daily business and not give it a second thought.

Bez?

Bez?":379wokob said:
Normal calf behaviour. Unless she is being ridden by others I would carry on about my daily business and not give it a second thought.

Bez?

I agree with Bez? I've seen mine do this on many occasions, the cows were bred, just rambunctious calf.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":3k69m0xk said:
Bez?":3k69m0xk said:

Bez?

I agree with Bez? I've seen mine do this on many occasions, the cows were bred, just rambunctious calf.

Katherine

That makes 3 of us for the normal calf behaviour.

Thanks for the responses. I kind of thought that would be the answer I would get just thouhgt I'd better ask.

I know exactly what you mean J. Almost daily, my wife says "LOOK!, Daisy must be in season!" Ive learned palpating is the only way to know for sure. Its a good practice as we have learned alot about our cows when having them checked.

One year a calf mounted his/her ma approximatley every 21 days for 3-4 cycles. No one else was interested & she just went about her business & paid it no mind. I was worried, but never saw lube or blood or any actions on her part to indicate she was in heat. She calved on schedule - just normal calf behavior.

Saw a March calf mount a bred heifer yesterday evening. The bull was standing about 5 feet away. I figured if it didn't bother him, it didn't bother me. I agree with everyone else, just a playfull calf.

Latest posts