Bred Cow Sales

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
It snowed yesterday, :shock: , but our special cow sales are over for the winter. Prices have been going up. Recently most pairs were at U$S 1250 to 1850, and most heavy breds were at 1050 to 1500. How do these price ranges compare to yours?

Local tried to sell 6 or 7 BB pairs with month old smokie calves at last sale - cows were about 6 years old. Didn't want any black cows in his herd. Nice cows, fancy calves. Only sold 2 pairs for $2k. Couldn't even get a bid of $1500 on the rest. Guess it goes to show that people don't like black cows around here - you noticed that firsthand when you came across the border. I was very tempted to buy them all, but I really don't want black cows in the herd - even if just for the summer.

I took 7 cows and 2 replacement heifers in Monday to our normal sale. These cows were all good young cows just were going to calve outside of my recently shortened calving window. Heifers weighed 801 and brought $1.19. The 7 cows were 2nd and 3rd period and averaged $1500. There was an additional 50 or so bred cows that had been advertised to this sale but this was not actually a special cow sale. All of those cows in the 2nd and 3rd period averaged around that $1500 mark too.

About two weeks ago I bought some BM pairs for $1225. All black with 200lb calves that had already been worked. Guy had lost his lease so these weren't trading cattle.

J&D Cattle":afsf6xju said:
I took 7 cows and 2 replacement heifers in Monday to our normal sale. These cows were all good young cows just were going to calve outside of my recently shortened calving window. Heifers weighed 801 and brought $1.19. The 7 cows were 2nd and 3rd period and averaged $1500. There was an additional 50 or so bred cows that had been advertised to this sale but this was not actually a special cow sale. All of those cows in the 2nd and 3rd period averaged around that $1500 mark too.

About two weeks ago I bought some BM pairs for $1225. All black with 200lb calves that had already been worked. Guy had lost his lease so these weren't trading cattle.
good deal on both.. nice.

Just sold some older colored May/June calvers for U$S 1221 average. OK money for what they were, so I made a little vs. selling them last fall. I am upgrading the herd and if they winter hard that is a called strike.

Culled 2 last week one was big red and pretty nice cow nine years old always pain to get up always late to calve. She was heavy bred maybe calved in someones trailer on way home 1000 dollars. The other was a 3 year old black cow out of red cow above. Little wild always looked lean and little poor compared to herd 2 month black bull on side 1775. I was pleased for them to get new address.

Latest posts