Bred cow price difference due to age

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas PaPaw

Reaction score
Have a question for folks that routinely buy bred cows at local auctions. Trying to figure out sale value differences due to age assuming all other factors are equal.

If you can buy old broke mouth but nice looking heavy bred cow for $1000, how much more will buyers pay for an identical, but middle aged solid mouth cow?

How much more for identical but young, 2nd or 3rd calver compared to broke mouth?

ok ill go at it

broke mouth - bred $950
middle aged bred -1200
young bred 1350-1450

I think a good young bred should be worth what two good 5 wgt heifer calves sell for that day

BobbyLummus1":1oxpc5k7 said:
ok ill go at it

broke mouth - bred $950
middle aged bred -1200
young bred 1350-1450

I think a good young bred should be worth what two good 5 wgt heifer calves sell for that day

here drop those prices by about 150.00 that's what you got here

BobbyLummus1":3953i1sy said:
ok ill go at it

broke mouth - bred $950
middle aged bred -1200
young bred 1350-1450

I think that's pretty close like sky said a little high right now.
I would say broke mouth . kill price
Short solid 1000.00
Solid 1200.00
Young 1500.00

Bud used to figure it was a good trade if you could do it for $100 per future calf. IF the solid lasts two calves more than she was worth $200 more to him. So you have to estimate longevity - - not age.

Stocker Steve":rg7alj8g said:
Bud used to figure it was a good trade if you could do it for $100 per future calf. So IF the solid lasts two calves more than she was worth $200 more to him.
What should a broken mouth heavy value be compared to kill price?

10-15 cents over kill price

I get the most fall out with heifers or broken mouth cows. Sure - - a few really click with my program but they average about 2 calves. Running age cows out of a dispersal last. I still have a few old Herefords left from 2006 cow purchases, with lots of their daughters in the herd.

I was buying a lot of discounted reds at the time. The SH went first for udder/teat problems. The RA did OK, but they did not maintain as well as the Herfs.

JMJ Farms":2twjow2e said:
Stocker Steve":2twjow2e said:
Bud used to figure it was a good trade if you could do it for $100 per future calf. So IF the solid lasts two calves more than she was worth $200 more to him.
What should a broken mouth heavy value be compared to kill price?

10-15 cents over kill price

Here right now you can buy a lot of spring calving bred cows of all ages for one bid over kill price. That is a penny a pound or even less because sometimes the kill buyers get down to bids of 1/4 of a penny.

Texas PaPaw":oy8tnre2 said:
Have a question for folks that routinely buy bred cows at local auctions. Trying to figure out sale value differences due to age assuming all other factors are equal.

If you can buy old broke mouth but nice looking heavy bred cow for $1000, how much more will buyers pay for an identical, but middle aged solid mouth cow?

How much more for identical but young, 2nd or 3rd calver compared to broke mouth?

I never pay over 200 bucks above kill price on SS heavies or 400 on middle age heavies.
Cutter kill price sets my price.

Dave":2kkmyj6w said:
Here right now you can buy a lot of spring calving bred cows of all ages for one bid over kill price. That is a penny a pound or even less because sometimes the kill buyers get down to bids of 1/4 of a penny.

I'll take that bet on some thin young cows.
Is everyone exiting the business, or are $500 kill cows forecasted for next year?

Stocker Steve":32s0vavy said:
Dave":32s0vavy said:

Is everyone exiting the business, or are $500 kill cows forecasted for next year?

Suspect drought is the culprit in Dave's area. Saw that in 2011 drought around here.

Texas PaPaw":1eov8ljv said:
Stocker Steve":1eov8ljv said:
Dave":1eov8ljv said:

Suspect drought is the culprit in Dave's area. Saw that in 2011 drought around here.

Nope, no drought here. Just no one buying bred cow. Only the very top going back to the country. The rest going to kill.

Dave":1xlmv6se said:
Nope, no drought here. Just no one buying bred cow. Only the very top going back to the country. The rest going to kill.

So folks are putting away the check book, storing hay, and reducing stocking rates?

Stocker Steve":h084lku2 said:
Dave":h084lku2 said:

So folks are putting away the check book, storing hay, and reducing stocking rates?

We are pretty isolated here and there aren't enough calves at the weekly sale for buyers to get full loads. As a result there aren't many buyers and calf prices are always 20 or 30 cents below the market. When a good looking 550 pound heifer calf only brings 90 cents there isn't much incentive for people to buy cows.

Dave":2c2cslqw said:
We are pretty isolated here and there aren't enough calves at the weekly sale for buyers to get full loads. As a result there aren't many buyers and calf prices are always 20 or 30 cents below the market. When a good looking 550 pound heifer calf only brings 90 cents there isn't much incentive for people to buy cows.

We move a lot of temporary fencing and some by product to increase stocking rate and organic matter.

I have a lot of older cows on the bubble. At these prices I am considering more bow hunting and less MIG.