Bred Cow and Heifer Sales

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
A local Saturday Bred sale here was standing room only. That was a first. Sounds like there were some lookers but also lots of unfilled orders for breds.

The guys that retained heifers in fall of 2012 doubled their money. Who says there is no profit in raising replacements ?

Every cow sale I have been to in the last probably 2 years has been standing room only around here. A good run of heifers back in January got to $2225 with many over $2,000. Watched some 3rd period 5 yr old commercial Angus based cows sell for $2,400. As good as quality of cow with a 150lb baby would bring $2,200. I didn't understand the pairs bringing less than the breds?

Some pairs are problems. Don't ask how I know.

So here it a math problem:
- you buy a heifer for $1,000
- you feed her for a year and have her bred
- then sell her for $2,000

Did I make some money?

Your far better off buying open yearlings in small bunches in the spring, grouping them, breeding them and selling as breds in the fall. Then you should be able to make money. Let some one else feed them over winter. Cuts down on your potential profit, but your not tying up your cash for as long, or having to spend time with the buggers in the worst part of the year.

Stocker Steve":3t1sam9g said:

Did I make some money?
If you can do that exactly the way you figured there, than yes you can make money. What are you feeding her during that year? I would think very little.

Aaron":2vmy5pfw said:
Your far better off buying open yearlings in small bunches in the spring, grouping them, breeding them and selling as breds in the fall. Then you should be able to make money. Let some one else feed them over winter. Cuts down on your potential profit, but your not tying up your cash for as long, or having to spend time with the buggers in the worst part of the year.

I haven't had anything break or get sick for 2 weeks. I must be getting ahead of the - 20 F. :banana: except for the electric bill. :shock: I told the neighbor I was tempted to go buy some more trouble from the sales barn now, but waiting till spring does sound smarter.
I have been putting fescue in my mixes so I can graze till the snow gets deep. The first bred sale of the winter occurs about that time. So grass, mineral, and then a little corn silage at the end to pop them.
When you look at it per acre - - there can be some $ in heiferettes during a hot market.

Stocker Steve":2dp7wesg said:

Did I make some money?

I didn't pay $1,000 ($850 average, cattle are cheaper here)
I didn't feed for a year (bought in Feb-March and sold in early Oct)
I didn't sell for $2,000 (I should have held them for another month)

But yes, I did make money. If I would have held them another month I would have made a lot more but never look back when you made a profit.

Stocker steve, how far along would you sell these heifers? Your idea seems legit, and according to sales around here, your calculations are close to mine but what weight would you buy and when to sell is my question? It would take a lot of money to take this adventure, but there seems to be profit if done right. Hay's cheap and abundant, and you could basically dry lot these girls for little more than hay and water. I sure like your thinking, plus it'll give your bull something to do all winter. :cboy:

The biggest bred cow sales here are during early December. I think many smaller operators sell their calves and culls in the fall, and then buy back breds before year end. The most popular calving window here is mid April to mid May. So call them 5 months bred when they sell in December. A 1,000# bred after decent gain would back into buying at least a 7 wt. heifer. What do they cost today in your area?
Most years we don't have good grass till mid May. So call it 2 months of hay and 7 months of grass - - depending on the year and your ability to stockpile in the fall. Heifer hay here is $100 a ton and pasture can be had.

Local market jumped another $350 per head this week. I asked who the heck was buying ? I was told local construction workers and SD jockeys :nod: .

I am moving on to plan C. :cowboy:

Stocker Steve":1n0esb1u said:
Local market jumped another $300 to $400 per head this week. I asked who the heck was buying ? I was told local construction workers and SD jockeys :nod: .

I am moving on to plan C. :cowboy:

Sell everything and jump back in when she drops like a rock?

My brother brought in a group of bred heifers Saturday. Had two born today that only lived about 30 minutes. That's the thing about buying breds, you don't really know their vaccination history most of the time. Now he has potentially brought a problem to his place.

Latest posts