Bred Balancer Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

bandit80

Reaction score
7519T
M/L Encore Daughter
Twin Valley Precision E161 as maternal great grandsire.
BD 1/07
AI'd for Feb 1 calf
7519T_1.jpg

Mytty In Focus Daugher
Polled Resource Maternal grandsire
BD 1/07
AI'd for Feb 1 calf
779T_1.jpg

These are two bred heifers that I am consigning to a sale in September. Both are 50% Gelbvieh, 50% Angus. Critique away.

Bandit you're sure on the right track. Those are both real nice girls. If I had to pick one it would be the first one. I like her topline better and her depth.

What sale are they going to. When is it. Where is it?????????????? I might have to hook up the trailer and make a road trip. Do you have EPD's on them?

Nice heifers.

But I must warn you that Doc Harris will be by shortly and tell you how awful your pictures are and that the pictures do not represent those cattle well enough for a proper phenotypic evaluation and that you're being less than truthful to your potential customers.

Hope they bring you a ton of money! :lol:

bandit80":1opvd3jg said:
7519T
M/L Encore Daughter
Twin Valley Precision E161 as maternal great grandsire.
BD 1/07
AI'd for Feb 1 calf
7519T_1.jpg

Mytty In Focus Daugher
Polled Resource Maternal grandsire
BD 1/07
AI'd for Feb 1 calf
779T_1.jpg

These are two bred heifers that I am consigning to a sale in September. Both are 50% Gelbvieh, 50% Angus. Critique away.
bandit80-

MikeC notwithstanding, there are three things that I feel you should do for an optimal exercise:

ONE: Get rid of the horn flies.
TWO: Get rid of the foliage.
THREE: Congratulate yourself for having two very acceptable heifers with great potential!

You should be very pleased with how they will sell! Make sure that they get adequate exercise between now and then, and not exceed their present Body Conditioning score. They are in great condition. Provide a Complete Horn Fly Mineral program!

DOC HARRIS

Doc

I have been feeding the mineral with the insecticide in it for two years. I can't tell that it helps that much. It is time to spray some pour-on on their backs. The first heifer was standing on the creek bank when her picture was taken. The second was in front of some timber. Sorry for the foliage, they weren't really being very photogenic.

VanC

Both were bred back gelbvieh.
The first is bred to an ABS bull named Good Stuff.
The second is bred to M/L Encore.

3waycross

I'll PM you.

bandit80":2eptigfc said:
I have been feeding the mineral with the insecticide in it for two years. I can't tell that it helps that much. It is time to spray some pour-on on their backs.

If you don;t think it's doing any good just stop using it for a while. Then you'll be able to tell the difference.

dun":a497wako said:
bandit80":a497wako said:
I have been feeding the mineral with the insecticide in it for two years. I can't tell that it helps that much. It is time to spray some pour-on on their backs.

If you don;t think it's doing any good just stop using it for a while. Then you'll be able to tell the difference.

Brother says the same thing. I think maybe the longer it is used, the better it will do as well.

Doc

You can't just get rid of hornflies. I use a good mineral with an IGR. I use backrubs. I spray at least once a week, usually twice a week. But we stiil have flies. Not bad though. I will say you do not find many flies around the manure.

JMichal":g14ex6i2 said:
Doc

You can't just get rid of hornflies. I use a good mineral with an IGR. I use backrubs. I spray at least once a week, usually twice a week. But we stiil have flies. Not bad though. I will say you do not find many flies around the manure.
JMichal-

I agree that you can't get rid of hornflies. But I will second the comment that dun made about stopping for a while, and then see the increase in the pests! To make a reduction in numbers is a large step in reducing the annoyance to the stock, and that is a worthwhile benefit.

Tests have shown that using different "attacks", as you mentioned above, is the correct approach. Because flies have multiple "generations" hatched in a short period of time, they genetically build resistance to almost every approach that we use, which justifies multiple methods of elimination. They also migrate from your neighbor's - who probably aren't being as diligent as you are in fighting them!

When Adam succumbed to Eve's 'Apple Offering', God condemned Man to exhaustive labor to make a living. Genesis 3: 17-19. I am sure that "Flies" are a part of that curse!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts