Breaking up arena hard pan.

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
So like most sports events in 2020 our local rodeo has cancelled this year due to the Covid.
I've been on the board of directors since 2003 and rodeo chair since 2018.
We are still meeting on Tuesday nights trying to do some maintenance projects and up dates. We have had a problem with our arena for several years. It's so hard it might be easier to work up the black top road. The grounds comity chair and I with the help of several other board members decided that since there is no rodeo this year it might be a good time to try and break up the hard pan in the arena. Last year one of the board members brought up there IH magnum and five shank ripper. They had to put a 3x3x4 concrete block on the ripper just to get it in the ground. About 10" deep is as good as they could do.
There is drain tile through the arena, the ground it so tight that the water can't get to it.
Any ideas on how to break up the hard pan?
I've had suggestions from sub-soiler, tile plow, to drilling holes and use dynamite.
If we could ever get it broke up we'd haul in some more sand and try and keep this from happening again.
Please fire away with suggestions, thanks for the help.

dynamite ought to do it...

Too many shanks on the ripper, go down to 3 and you'd probably have better luck, if you don't break it!

Right tool for the job would be a D6 with a ripper, it'll cruise right through it

I think it might take a dozer to pull what ever we could get in the ground. One of our sponsors custom applies anhydrous with a new John Deere quad track. Might see if they would come help us out.

Rubber tired backhoe. Dig a hole then dig beside it and move dirt over into hole. Might take a minute but there are lots of backhoes.

Latest posts