Breaking Halter

Help Support CattleToday:

Cheyenne

Reaction score
I've seen breaking halters in various catalogs. I was just wondering what type of behaviors/problems that halter is used for and how it is used. How does it correct bad behaviors?

Thanks

Jeanne - Simme Valley":33i03dsc said:
What little I know of them - they are based on PAIN.
I would rather halter break cattle with TRUST, and patience.
A plain rope halter should be all you need.

I don't think they are painful unless the calf really pulls hard, and we always have a rope halter on to really control them. They just apply and release pressure more quickly so the calf learns the "take a step to relieve pressure" drill more quickly.

Cheyenne":1mk5es05 said:
I've seen breaking halters in various catalogs. I was just wondering what type of behaviors/problems that halter is used for and how it is used. How does it correct bad behaviors?

Thanks
a plain rope halter is all you need to break them.when a calf really acts up they put a halter on it that has a chain under his chin.

If i get a bunch of bulls to take out to bull sales and need to break in a hurry i have some ring halters from sullivans. they work best with a really long shank and teaches them to repond to pressure i find it works well to start them and teach the basics, but because they are draging a long shank and other animals step on it and do the work for you,i usally only do this for a couple of days then start working with a rope halter.

I wasn't planning on using one. I was just curious as to why that type of halter would be necessary. I have broken ours with a rope halter with the pressure relief method and patience. I also have the halters with the chains.

Thanks for all the responses. Clears things up.

do you mean those ones that are almost a chain for the whole halter except for the part around the nose like in sullivans?

theres no way i would use one on any kinda animal. it IS based on pain and that is just NOT right!! if you cant break your animal with a rope halter or even one with a chain underneith the chin and with patients and work then you dont need to be handling animals. im not pointing this to you Cheyenne, i just wanted to get my point across.

Calm down people the halters I assume you are talking about are called "Big Jim" halters or that is what I call them. Those are for the ones that you have tried everything else with and you are getting down to the last straws. They might look "bad" or "cruel" but if you need to get their attention then that is a good method for short periods of time. You do not leave those type of halters on "unless" your actually walking or trying to walk them. We have used them for a couple of calves in the past 17 years and I really don't know were it is now. If you want the best method with the fastest turn around time is use a good donkey.

Matt Schiel

Sorry to start something here. I was just wondering why a halter like that would be needed. I was thinking that if you needed to use something like that then maybe that is a calf that shouldn't be broke.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I understand the purpose now and no I don't think I will ever own one.

Thanks again.

i call the halters that are made out of all chain and metal: jonny breaking halters. they do work trust me. cattleluvr18 just because you cant get them to lead dont mean they dont need to be handled. some seem like they are half retarded but that dont mean they r. some need to get sore first then they can be great show cattle

call the halters that are made out of all chain and metal: jonny breaking halters. they do work trust me. cattleluvr18 just because you cant get them to lead dont mean they dont need to be handled. some seem like they are half retarded but that dont mean they r. some need to get sore first then they can be great show cattle

you do have a point but i just hate seeing my "babies" in pain. it just doesnt appeal to me to cause my animals pain. i guess its prolly just cause i havent had any trouble animals.

Latest posts