Breaker style post driver

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
Looking into one to put on front of my skid steer. I had a big slide weight one behind a tractor and wasn't crazy about it. Wondering if anybody has used one or got any experience with one. The videos look slick but I don't believe all I see on tv. Driving in mostly clay type soils with some small rock. Thanks

What kind of post are you driving? T3 driver works great and is inexpensive but only works on pipe up to 3".

I've never used one on a skid steer, but have a pull type Wheatheart and it's been a good machine.

Couple questions:

Is there a skid steer mounted unit that can be used by a single operator? Otherwords, pick up the post from the ground and hold it in place while you drive it? I was thinking I had seen one with a claw or such that would pick up a post from the ground at a 90 degree angle?

If there is a driver that's single operator friendly, how big of a treated wooden post will it drive?

Thanks.

Danuser makes a claw that attaches to their " The Hammer Driver" think it's rated for 8" post.

Lucky said:
Danuser makes a claw that attaches to their " The Hammer Driver" think it's rated for 8" post.

Thanks.

Just looked through their website, seems they have a claw offered on a few different modes.

cfpinz said:
Lucky said:

Thanks.

Just looked through their website, seems they have a claw offered on a few different modes.

Funny how things happen...I was eating lunch today and a Kubota SVL95 with a Hammer pulled in on trailer. I looked at it on the way out and it had the claw attachment. I wish I would've snapped a pic, I'd never seen one in person.

Yes the Danuser Hammer is a one man show with the grapple and will do up to a railroad tie. Right now this is probably the way I am leaning mostly because of the one man operation. Still find the breaker style interesting and one fence contractor here has one and swears it is the fastest way to go. Can't find one with the grapple set up that seem to be as good of design as the Danuser. Most of those you have to stab post in the ground to start and that won't work with sq. ends. Driving mostly 4-5" and 5-6" pine posts. No pipe to be had up here and I can do t-posts with any of them.

SmokinM said:
Yes the Danuser Hammer is a one man show with the grapple and will do up to a railroad tie. Right now this is probably the way I am leaning mostly because of the one man operation. Still find the breaker style interesting and one fence contractor here has one and swears it is the fastest way to go. Can't find one with the grapple set up that seem to be as good of design as the Danuser. Most of those you have to stab post in the ground to start and that won't work with sq. ends. Driving mostly 4-5" and 5-6" pine posts. No pipe to be had up here and I can do t-posts with any of them.

Do you put a pipe or sleeve of some sort over the t-posts before driving them? I've only ever driven them with a hand driver, sledge or a front end loader - much prefer the latter.

They make an adapter for the hammer. The others you just push and rattle a little if you need to. Not to worried about the t-post part they are easy enough to put in, other than the sledge hammer option, times gotta be tough for me to take a sledge to one.

SmokinM said:
...., times gotta be tough for me to take a sledge to one.

Same here anymore, unless that's all I have. I remember driving a couple last year with a 22 oz. framing hammer, just because that's all I had in the truck!

cfpinz said:
SmokinM said:

Do you put a pipe or sleeve of some sort over the t-posts before driving them? I've only ever driven them with a hand driver, sledge or a front end loader - much prefer the latter.

If you're gonna be putting a lot of posts in rough/rocky ground, string a wire, with ribbons tied where you want the posts. Then go along with a single bale spike on a skid steer and poke a hole in the ground for the post. Did hundreds of fiberglass electric posts this way, I imagine it would work well for T posts too.

We're using the danuser hammer with the grapple right now. And at this time I wouldn't consider anything else. The grapple works very well and it will drive pipe in rocky ground way better than any driver I've ever seen. You can apply down pressure to the post as you hit. Which gives it a huge advantage.
As far as tpost. If the ground is to hard to push them your gonna bend alot trying to drive with a machine mounted driver. Except the little t3 danuser makes its a tpost driving machine.
We prefer the gasoline powered hand drivers for tpost. I've used several brands and would say rhino makes the best but it's pricey. We have a skidrill that runs about 800.00 that is working out well for us.

Well I messed with my Danuser Hammer I bought for awhile. The one man part of it works really well other than trying to keep them plumb back and forth with the machine because that is hard to see from the cab. Ended up getting that other contractor to bring his breaker style driver down. Montana driver 1500 series. WOW. No comparison he can drive at least 5-6 sometimes more in the time it takes me to drive one. Only downside I see is you have to have 2 people. The Hammer is great for knocking around the farm doing a few repairs or whatever but real production fencing a breaker style wins hands down. Much easier on the posts and easier to straighten as you drive also. Wish somebody made one with a grapple like the Danuser.

Latest posts