Breaker Morant

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
A movie not many know about. Maybe Ken because it is Australian. It is powerful in its examination of the acts that occur in War. This is a true story. These three men were shot by military firing squad, in one of the most controversial court-martials in military history. If you are in search of something deeper than the mindless action in cinemas today, you might enjoy this!

In South Africa during the Second Boer War, Australian Army Lieutenants Harry "Breaker" Morant (Edward Woodward), Peter Handcock (Bryan Brown) and George Witton (Lewis Fitz-Gerald) stand accused of the murders of six Boer prisoners and the assassination of a German missionary. British Commander-in-Chief Lord Kitchener is determined to see the men found guilty, which he can use as a bargaining chip in an impending peace conference with the Boers.

I really enjoy thoughtful military based movies, not just folks killing other folks for 2 hours. I particularly enjoyed the Imitation Game and Bridge of Spies (while it wasn't directly military related, it is in a roundabout way).

Anyone else have any good selections to share?

I've seen it, but it's been awhile. It's an interesting look at what we know as a lawful vs unlawful orders tho they didn't really dwell on that a lot in the movie, but that aspect is alive and well in late 20th century and current combat. Lots of folks think you can do just about anything you want in warfare, but as individuals, that simply isn't true. It's one thing to drop bombs or send artillery shells screaming into a town, but if you put an unarmed civilian in your rifle or machine gun sights (or as in the movie..a prisoner) and squeeze the trigger, you better hope to heaven no one witnesses it. (and no, you can't claim "I was scared". That will likely just get a charge of something like 'cowardice in the face of the enemy' or whatever it's equivalent is today added to whatever charge you already have pending)
The US military takes their codes of conduct, rules of engagement and UCMJ deadly serious.

An officer gives you an order that you know or strongly believes is against regs or protocol, you do have the right to refuse to obey it..in fact, according to UCMJ, you have a responsibility to disregard an unlawful order.

Some thoughts and background on lawful/unlawful orders and the Nuremberg Defense:
http://www.constitution.org/mil/mil_attn.htm

Latest posts