BREAKAWAY STIRRUPS

Help Support CattleToday:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Just another gimic ? or a worth while ?
Reason I ask is..........This morning I had some fence to ride and gaps to check,horses around here have'nt been rode much because I was feelin a lil pekid earlier this year,anyway I am partial to the grey horse i have so always ride your best horse as the ole sayin goes but,horses need rode and the little sorrel i have had'nt been rode in a long while and I reckoned it was time.
So bout day break me and the little sorrel are makin good time it's like the little horse was rode daily no problems at all yet.
I cut through a plowed field and the sorrel stumbled a couple times seemed to get his balance and we broke into a trot,bout that time he stumbled forward he musta went 20 tryin to regain his balance when his nose started plowin loose ground,happened pretty fast but the little horse fell on his left side and had my leg under him he gained his feet pretty damn fast as a matter of fact to fast because if I would have been thinkin when he stood upright I would have been in the saddle.
I guess it happened to fast or maybe Im gettin old,probably a little of both anyway he got up damn fast and my left foot is hung in the stirrup,Im thinkin bad things are fixin to happen fast,but that little sorrel just stood there never spooked and i finnally got my boot loose.
I believe it was my fault for not realizin the little horse needed time to adjust to a rider again and I made it worse when i cut across the plowed field.
Anyway I got very lucky this morning,after i gained some age I swore i would never sit a saddle without a nitelatch,never bury my boot to the heel in a stirrup which i did'nt this morning,I guess the horse wallowin on it moved it to the heel.
Anyway..........got me wonderin bout the so called breakaways,always thought they were for green horns,change your mind mighty fast when your boot is hung and you are flat on your back.
To be honest this is the 2nd time I been hung up both times I was lucky,what's that ole sayin bout 3 ?
good luck

No experience with them but any extra safety equipment that does not hinder your riding and at the same time adds more safety seems worth it to me. I think years ago it was accepted to just take chances. Just look at all the safety equipment nowadays in so many products we use - i.e. seatbelts, car seats, helmuts, PTO shields, safety glasses, shooting with hearing protection - all things years ago not used much. I would not feel bad about using the break a ways. How about helmuts while riding? I have don't but I always encourage people that are to keep using them.

if you can think fast enough,, you can flip over on your stomach and your foot will pop right out.. i had a colt go down on his front end once i was trying to pull my feet out but he lunged foward i was hung up in the off stirrup. i was locked he ran a few feet and kicked me in the back then stopped my uncle had to help me outa that one,,, never used em but riding out by yourself like that it would be good insurence

hayray":25qpqymh said:
No experience with them but any extra safety equipment that does not hinder your riding and at the same time adds more safety seems worth it to me. I think years ago it was accepted to just take chances. Just look at all the safety equipment nowadays in so many products we use - i.e. seatbelts, car seats, helmuts, PTO shields, safety glasses, shooting with hearing protection - all things years ago not used much. I would not feel bad about using the break a ways. How about helmuts while riding? I have don't but I always encourage people that are to keep using them.
i can see haymaker in a helmet
:lol: :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":1ap4ybrt said:
hayray":1ap4ybrt said:
i can see haymaker in a helmet
:lol: :cowboy:
I guess riding helmets have their place in the horse world,just not in mine,havin trouble considerin new stirrups,but I would quit my horse and take my 4 wheeler before a helmet.
good luck

Suzie Q":3gf6ji8x said:
If you are man enough to ride in them there are toe stoppers. They attach to any stirrup and are an idea like the clogs used for children.
What you mean :Man enuff ? to wear toe stoppers,Im tryin to git some information on stirrups,dont need any toe protection,well maybe I do,reckon you could loose some toes being drug around pasture.
good luck

I have seen em but never used them
I have always rode Oxbows so I ride deep all the way to the heel and I have came off a few broncs with my feet buried deep but have never hung up in a set of Oxbows
bout the only way you would was if you somehow got your foot all the way thru them

Because hubby wouldn't buy them. He is pretty much a beginner and I had him all excited about this new product he could buy for safety. Until he saw it and no way he would buy them as they would make him look like a beginner.

They strap to the front of the stirrup, so as your foot cannot go forward to get caught in the stirrup. You could probably make something like that if you wanted to.

Suzie Q":46pj8502 said:
Because hubby wouldn't buy them. He is pretty much a beginner and I had him all excited about this new product he could buy for safety. Until he saw it and no way he would buy them as they would make him look like a beginner.

They strap to the front of the stirrup, so as your foot cannot go forward to get caught in the stirrup. You could probably make something like that if you wanted to.
here in the states we have had something similiar to what you are describing They are called Tapaderos

But in the US having taps on your stirrups don't mean you a beginner it more likely means you have been cowboying in brush country

I never have gotten a set but I also have thought about it.
i don't intend at my age to ride a horse that will make me need em but you never know what will happen out there.
being dragged and stomped is not likely to yield a good result.
As far as what someone else thinks, when they start paying my way then they can tell me what I am supposed to look like, otherwise they can go pound sand.
My wife is just now expressing an interest in riding and it has me thinking of how I can best keep her safe.
Personal safety equipment and the decisoin to deploy it is a personal matter. I would not mind wearing a helmet but I won't go anywhere where they tell me I have to.
riding a hoss is not a 100% safe thing to do but then neither is driving a car, yet a lot of us do it.

Don't get the safety stirrups that are bowed out on one side.

They are shaped like that so as you are supposed to be able to get your foot out.

What happens in reality is if your foot gets turned your whole foot goes through the stirrup and then it is impossible to get it out.

Latest posts