Breaded Tomatoes

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
I haven't had them in years but remember them fondly. But I can't make them like I remember. Tonight I tried some with frozen diced tomatoes which had a lot of the juice and seeds squeezed out of them before freezing. For the bread, I used a day old baguette which was very dry and should have sopped up juice like no tomorrow. But they are still too runny. The taste is good, but not the texture. Help!

Fried green tomatoes is near and dear to my heart get that meal out blk pepper some sugar coat them and fry them ... OH MY...

skyhightree1":1sy4q00p said:
Fried green tomatoes is near and dear to my heart get that meal out blk pepper some sugar coat them and fry them ... OH MY...

would you mind punctuating that sentence so it makes some sense please, and quit yer freakin drooling.

Not breaded as in drench and dredge. Breaded tomatoes are sort of stewed tomatoes with cubes of bread in them. It seems to be more common in the south. But yep, fried green tomatoes are a coming with the first frost warning.

MO_cows":32dcuimv said:
Not breaded as in drench and dredge. Breaded tomatoes are sort of stewed tomatoes with cubes of bread in them. It seems to be more common in the south. But yep, fried green tomatoes are a coming with the first frost warning.
Sorry, never seen that here. Must not be far enough south.

MO_cows":219iq0cm said:
I am as much a son of the south as there is with some mammies that could cook. Never heard of it.

Never heard of it either. Only breaded tomatoes I've ever eaten was some big ripe one's sliced and brought to room temp then put between two pieces of Sunbeam bread with Hellman's mayo and plenty of salt and pepper. I just don't think you can improve on that.

3waycross":1mb9mfa1 said:
skyhightree1":1mb9mfa1 said:

would you mind punctuating that sentence so it makes some sense please, and quit yer freakin drooling.

Sorry temporary insanity took over ;-)

kenny thomas":1mb9mfa1 said:
MO_cows":1mb9mfa1 said:
Sorry, never seen that here. Must not be far enough south.

Same here never heard of that.

Geez I guess my upbringing was a little more "backwoods" than I thought. One of my grandmothers always made it during tomato season and I had it at other places too. The recipe Sky posted was the one I worked from, minus the cheese and the baking because it's too durn hot to run the oven. Maybe frozen tomatoes were the problem, or maybe baking dries it up some more? I'll have to try again with fresh tomatoes......

Jogeephus":1ma5yfnz said:
Never heard of it either. Only breaded tomatoes I've ever eaten was some big ripe one's sliced and brought to room temp then put between two pieces of Sunbeam bread with Hellman's mayo and plenty of salt and pepper. I just don't think you can improve on that.
Now, THAT, I heard of...

I've never like tomatoes. It's a pitty to, cause they look so good. My mamaw made it with day old biscuits. I also remember dirty old bacon grease being a component, as well as butter. The old folks always had it at breakfast.

Isn't there an Italian version that is served cold? Tomatoes, crusty bread to soak up the juice, garlic, olive oil and all that good stuff? Isn't that gazpacho?

HD, thanks, I had found that recipe too and pretty much used it, except I used tomatoes that I had frozen. It came out too runny and the tomatoes were in too small of pieces.

If I can nail it, I'll share the recipe. I'm on a kick for old fashioned recipes, I'm making some tomato preserves too.