bread again

Help Support CattleToday:

jvicars

Reaction score
i have searched the threads for feeding bread. Seems to be a mixed reaction. I am not feeding it as primary source since grass is here in FL. What is the down side of feeding bread? I have packed on some good pound on thin cows with bread. Seems to be a cheap source of energy. I have read threads about cattle dying from bread or suspected bread. most of my cows go nuts for it. thanks.

We've never fed it because we didn;t have a cheap source. But we had a neighbor that fed bread as the only "grain?" his cattle got. They did fine on it with hay. Sure seemed too fat to me though. He owned a day old bread store so he had lots of free bakedgoods. For a special treat he fed them the little white powder shuger covered doughnuts.

we have fed bread as well. When the cows hear the bread bags you need a real quick exit and fast.
We use it when we want to tame down our heifers for replacements. After they are weaned and doing well we first pail feed the bread and then out of our hand. They are pretty easy to scratch and more use to handleing then.
Not to make pets out of them but to get them used to us for calving. Maked it easier to handle them if they are used to you in their space.

RR

Latest posts