Braunvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

i have a good friend who has gotten into them. i am impressed with what i see, they are good maternal cows and seem easy to handle. the bulls are nice looking and throw good calves. he had a herd of gelbvieh & balancer cows to start with and bought a couple puebred cows and a couple of bulls. he had really good cattle anyway. i almost bought a young bull from him, i went hereford instead. the half blood replacements were excellent.

In this area they get hammered pretty hard at the salebarn. The local breeders have taken to pooling their cattle at a feedlot and marketing them from there

Braunvieh has a bull sale tomorrow (April 8) at 1:00 cst. on RFD-TV, and also Superior livestock.com. 77 bulls tested for feed efficiency. I punch April Eighth and I get a smilie and can't get it off.

BOUGHT A BULL LAST YEAR AND HIS FIRST CALF CROP IS OVER ALL GOOD. HIS HEIFERS ARE MORE IMPRESSIVE THAN BULLS, WITH THE HEIFERS HAVING EXECELLENT LENGTH AND STRUCTURE. THE BULLS ARE ABOUT A FRAME SIZE SMALLER THAN MY OTHER ANGUS CROSS BULLS BUT SEEM TO HAVE MORE THICKNESS IN THE REAR AND OVERALL WIDTH.

Has anyone ever used Braunvieh bulls on Hereford cows? Any thoughts on this cross? (doing a school project would like any opinions or insight if you have any)

Actually a just bought a few commercial Braunvieh cows from a PB breeder the other day. I asked about the brindle or tiger striped colour pattern and said that you usually only get it when crossing with Hereford or Simmy. Other than that he said the Hereford made a good cross; Braunvieh milk with the fleshing ability of the Hereford.

dun":2b9vlsgn said:
In this area they get hammered pretty hard at the salebarn. The local breeders have taken to pooling their cattle at a feedlot and marketing them from there
if nobodys holding a gun too their head's, why dont they change too a more popular breed.. if mohammad wont go to the mountain, then too he!$ with him :p

There wee a few herds of Braunvieh in this area in the 80-90's. Did not go over very well. Pretty much gone now.

if nobodys holding a gun too their head's, why dont they change too a more popular breed.. if mohammad wont go to the mountain, then too he!$ with him

Just another example of the market taking advantage. They're all the same colour in the cooler, and from what I have seen these cattle marble and yield fairly well. Maybe someone who's fed some would have a different story, but there are as many myths and opinions when it comes to feeding cattle as there are in cow/calf production. The buyers and feeders that I have talked to in the past have said the off-types are usually the most profitable as long as they're not too off.

I bought mine to use as recips so I'm not really looking at raising a whole herd, but they are really nice looking cows with big healthy calves at side. They won't be as easy fleshing because they milk a little harder so I could see them struggling in a tough system, and they do seem to have a little more zip.

If any of you want to advise somebody that want to try to make it raising cattle.
Don't advise in something that they will be discounted on.
Braunviehs have limited market value.

There is a market for braunvieh cattle, people who know what they are won't discount them. But I wouldn't expect to haul them to the sale barn and have anyone know what they were. They sell well on superior and they have marketing programs that pay premiums for them.

They are good cattle and do very well in feed tests and carcass shows.

Busterz":2rtahyjk said:
There is a market for braunvieh cattle, people who know what they are won't discount them. But I wouldn't expect to haul them to the sale barn and have anyone know what they were. They sell well on superior and they have marketing programs that pay premiums for them.

i believe you but,, and although i like watching superior their not real indicative of the real world

alacattleman":3fbn0j3h said:
Busterz":3fbn0j3h said:

i believe you but,, and although i like watching superior their not real indicative of the real world

That must explain the monopoly money they pay you with. :)

maybe so.. but im not going too run all over the country too find buyers for my cattle.. like i said if mohammad dont wanna go to the mountain, im going with one that will

in the traditional sense of marketing fullblood and purebred braunviehs at the local salebarn they will be docked, not because they're not good quality, but because they are not the norm. the black braunviehs will do very well at the local markets. not because they are better quality than the fullbloods or purbreds, but because they are similar to the norm.

there are a number of feedlots who want braunvieh genetics (fullbloods, purebreds and black) and will pay a premium to get them.

there are a lot of guys who finish out their own and sell on the grid - where the quality of their carcasses are rewarded with premiums for low yield grade, big ribeyes and decent marbling. (meaning choice)

and there are guys like me who finishes out on the farm and sells beef. $1.75/lb on the hanging weight is nothing to be ashamed of, even with $7.00 corn they still made money.

and yes, with the production sales there are some who like to make you think they're calves are worth a lot more money than anyone elses, but show me a production sale within any other breed that doesn't do the same thing.

mnmtranching":358scv9p said:
If any of you want to advise somebody that want to try to make it raising cattle.

everyone else in my area that raises "traditional" calves and markets their beef direct took quite a discount compared to what i received. does that mean that their "traditional" calves have a limited market value as well?

ROB

ROB":13kkrfwb said:
in the traditional sense of marketing fullblood and purebred braunviehs at the local salebarn they will be docked, not because they're not good quality, but because they are not the norm. the black braunviehs will do very well at the local markets. not because they are better quality than the fullbloods or purbreds, but because they are similar to the norm.

there are a number of feedlots who want braunvieh genetics (fullbloods, purebreds and black) and will pay a premium to get them.

there are a lot of guys who finish out their own and sell on the grid - where the quality of their carcasses are rewarded with premiums for low yield grade, big ribeyes and decent marbling. (meaning choice)

and there are guys like me who finishes out on the farm and sells beef. $1.75/lb on the hanging weight is nothing to be ashamed of, even with $7.00 corn they still made money.

and yes, with the production sales there are some who like to make you think they're calves are worth a lot more money than anyone elses, but show me a production sale within any other breed that doesn't do the same thing.

mnmtranching":13kkrfwb said:

everyone else in my area that raises "traditional" calves and markets their beef direct took quite a discount compared to what i received. does that mean that their "traditional" calves have a limited market value as well?

ROB
theres no doubt about that.

Latest posts