Braunvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

FROGHOLLOWFARM

Reaction score
I was wandering if anyone on here has had any experiances with Braunvieh,and could share some pros and cons or opinions of the breed.Thanks

just seen them at a few shows, and a few places along the road.

I know they milk a lot. came from the herd as the brown swiss way back in the day. i really like them. the ones i've seen were moderate framed, but had a lot of width and overall thickness, and they were put together very well. the ones i saw looked as if they would be some pretty awesome mama's.

I've never owned any myself but there are a few people around here that do. The only real complaint I've heard more than once is that they have had calving trouble in the past. The breed seems to be working on that recently.

Ryan, if memory serves me correctly, I believe Brown Swiss were derived from the Braunvieh breed, selected heavily for milk production, but I could be wrong.

There is a fairly large breeder about an hour or so from us that raises braunvieh and black angus cattle. I really like the looks of their straight braunvieh cattle, nice thick cattle. Their braunviehs appear quite calm and their angus are, well, angus. But some of the crosses I have seen come through their sale each year have had a major attitude problem. One in particular that comes to mind was a F1 that came out with tigerstripes. As a yearling bull, he cleaned the ring out and tried to tear up the trailer of the poor soul who purchased him. The outfit that sold him is very reputable in this area, but I've never bought anything from them, this being one of the main reasons. That animal belonged on a plate, not in a pasture.

cfpinz

cfpinz,

The way I understood it was that they were derived from the same herd. not sure which came first. but basically that two herds/breeds were developed from one, they were split and one herd went to beef and the other to dairy. i thought they were basically started at the same time. but i could easily be wrong, as it has been a while since i was given the history lesson on braunvieh.

Brown Swiss were developed from Braunvieh in 1890. I believe Braunvieh is about the only pure breed left dating back to yr. 800. I have a Braunvieh bull that I use on hereford and angus and x's with Gelbvieh and I've not had a single problem with calving. Most calves are 70 to 74 lbs at birth. On their feet in matter of mins. Also have used Angus bull with same cows and it's not hard to tell which are which. Good length, thick, well muscled. Kept 8 heifers back and I think they'll be my best cows from the looks of them. In fact 1 heifer calved 5 days short of 13 mons. unassisted. Had 70 lb. heifer. X them with Angus and they'll take away the backfat, but keep the marbling. And they'll dang sure put a butt on them. I'm sold on 'em and getting another Braunvieh bull. But go to Braunvieh.com and Braunvieh.org for more info.

A few years ago we bred a couple Balancers and a Gelbvieh cow to the Braunvieh bull Polled Plus. The calves came easily and with the exception of one that foundered, the others grew well. If I was running a commercial operation and had black Angus females I'd strongly consider using Braunvieh to make some fancy black f1 females and outstanding feeder calves.

My main concern for the breed is their color. Though I really like the Braunvieh/Brown Swiss color and markings, most feeder cattle and fat cattle buyers will discount them thinking they have some dairy blood (Brown Swiss) in them. Another problem with the Braunvieh is when crossed with red cows you will often get tiger-striped cattle; once again discounted by cattle buyers who think they have some Brahma influence.

Latest posts