Braunvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

R V, I see what can be done about the pictures. They may have to be sent to you for posting. Do not have a photo account yet. Most of the calves from the cross, show the charolais breeding. Darker muzzle and under the tail. Heavy pigmented eye lids. Colorwise, yellowish to a light red tint. Others mostly white, but you can tell there not pureblood charolais. Hoofs are darker.
Myself, I like Charolais cattle, my hopes are the cross will be more efficent, better uddered, and more milk. A hereford bull is being used now on both the braunvieh and charolais cows and heifers. Hopes are to get a yellow white face calf from the char and char cross. If I had enough room for a second herd, bruanvieh cows with a Charolais bull would be a consideration. I currently have about 30 head of cows and breeding heifers. The drought of last year kinda changed things up for me. Barring another drought year, I'll start selling some of my older cows.

brimmer X":1cjziwbl said:
R V, I see what can be done about the pictures. They may have to be sent to you for posting. Do not have a photo account yet. Most of the calves from the cross, show the charolais breeding. Darker muzzle and under the tail. Heavy pigmented eye lids. Colorwise, yellowish to a light red tint. Others mostly white, but you can tell there not pureblood charolais. Hoofs are darker.
Myself, I like Charolais cattle, my hopes are the cross will be more efficent, better uddered, and more milk. A hereford bull is being used now on both the braunvieh and charolais cows and heifers. Hopes are to get a yellow white face calf from the char and char cross. If I had enough room for a second herd, bruanvieh cows with a Charolais bull would be a consideration. I currently have about 30 head of cows and breeding heifers. The drought of last year kinda changed things up for me. Barring another drought year, I'll start selling some of my older cows.

Id like to see some pics. I have some pics from '69 of calves out of a half french char x brown swiss bull and hereford cows I've been looking for but can't seem to find them.

Brimmer X,
Thanks for the description of the calves! I would like to see the pictures, but I am not better at posting the pictures than you. Hopefully we all stay out of the drought this year. I would like to start building my herd back as well.
Ron

I talked to my friend that used the braunvieh bulls a lot this weekend. He did not retain ownership of them. He said they all weighed good when weaned. He added that they were pretty wild. That surprised me as old as the breed book is. I don't know why, I just figured they were like sheep. Been domesticated so long they lost their fight.