braunvieh vs gelbvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

brimmer X

Reaction score
I'll start by saying I like both breeds, but I do have braunvieh. My question is, why would you choose one over the other? I have some braunvieh cows, and use a braunvieh bull on them. He is also used to breed some other cows, charolais and simbra. My primary focus was on replacements. From a heifer stand point, I've not been disappointed. They are probably the best we've ever raised. I like the look of braunvieh cattle, and their disposition. They milk well, and seem to be pretty easy keepers. A year and half ago I bought my first braunvieh, so I'm not promoting or selling braunvieh animals at this time. I would not rule out using gelbvieh myself, but curious why others would use one over the other.

They make great mothers, but tend to be on the larger side, frame wise.

Use the ones you have in a cross breeding program.... buyers dont like the mouse colored calves down here, just gives them a reason to dock them as they'll claim they are brown swiss. :?

SSGenetics":3e9xvxng said:
Use the ones you have in a cross breeding program.... buyers dont like the mouse colored calves down here, just gives them a reason to dock them as they'll claim they are brown swiss. :?
Ditto around here. They sell for slightly more then straight holstein

I have 6 simbra cows that I raised. Four are f-1's and 2 are percentage simbras. To answer the question yes we are. I have weaned 1 simbravieh hfr, and have 4 february calves on the ground now. Unfortunately, only 1 of the 4 is a hfr. She looks to be a good one. I did not take a hit with the only simbravieh steer sold. He brought the most per pound of the group sold. ( at the sale barn). The only braunvieh/cross heifers sold was a set of twins out of a charolais cow. I have one reg brahman cow left, and she has a beautiful braunvieh hfr at her side. I'm really proud of my heifer crop, an want to post some pictures, if I can ever figure it out.

1. Because Gelbvieh are a viable commercial animal with an accepted market.

2. Because the gene pool is much larger and they are not a novelty breed.

3. Because they come in Black which everyone seems to want(Red also)

4. Because I can!

For the record. I like Braunvieh........to look at. They are just not commercially viable around here!

3waycross":jt9e6ab9 said:
1. Because Gelbvieh are a viable commercial animal with an accepted market.

2. Because the gene pool is much larger and they are not a novelty breed.

3. Because they come in Black which everyone seems to want(Red also)

4. Because I can!

For the record. I like Braunvieh........to look at. They are just not commercially viable around here!
:clap: :clap: :tiphat:
what you say is correct I think the biggest 2 things would be on aveage a much larger mature size on the braunvieh and more milk gelbvieh are likely to have smaller mature size, fertility and color on their side

I am new and just had my first calving season with my herd of Braunvieh. Many people talk about the mouse color but mine are all a deep dark brown. It was one of the characteristics the man who had the herd was breeding for. I plan to cross them with a black Gelbvieh or Maybe an Angus. I have 24 cows and all calved with no help.

One nice thing about Braunviehs is the offspring usually have the color of their father from what I have read.

We've used genetics of several breeds, including Braunvieh and Gelbvieh, so my comments are based primarily on our experiences with these breeds. Braunvieh and Gelbvieh seem to offer many of the same benefits to commercial producers; good milk, good fertility, and better Yield Grades in general than Angus, so both breeds compliment Angus very well in a cross breeding program.

In general, Braunvieh are better in quality grades than Gelbvieh, but also tend to have higher birth weights, and possibly a bit more mature size, Gelbvieh are likely better in direct calving ease and fertility, and there tend to be more black and homozygous polled genetics than in the Braunvieh breed. I'm actually surprised that not more Braunvieh breeders have bred for black and polled cattle, considering that these are two traits that tend to be high on the criteria list of many commercial bull buyers.

brierpatch, I don't know of any color patterns in cattle that are influenced more by one parent than the other, so I doubt that Braunvieh sired calves follow the color of their sires. Just my thoughts.

"""brierpatch, I don't know of any color patterns in cattle that are influenced more by one parent than the other, so I doubt that Braunvieh sired calves follow the color of their sires. Just my thoughts."""

You are most likely right. I read an article on thi but was wondering how the heck that could be when it goes against everything thats ever been taught about genetics lol. My Braunvieh are not black but are a very deep brown and my herd is all polled. The man who started this herd did a wonderful job with them but he wanted to focus more on his Charolais. He has some mighty fine charolais and is breeding them to angus. Smokes are right up there with the blacks ar our local markets. Most anythign does pretty good except RWF. They take a big hit, even things considered exotic sell better than they do.

Thank you for the comments on this subject. UG comments were the most informative, which is why the question was proposed. Leave it to 3way for the most snide comments. I am glad he is not my neighbor. I believe the 2 breeds are very similar, the biggest difference maybe the color and birth weights. Bruanvieh can be found in black, and as brierpatch stated a lot are in a dark brown. If the cross bred offspring don't have a white ring aroung the muzzel, I doubt many could tell whether it was from bruanvieh or gelbvieh.
I like this board, and refer to it often. The cattle business is not new to my family, but there are so many others more knowledgeable than myself. Occasionally, I have a piece of information that might benefit someone. The bruanvieh breed is just another option for others to consider,and I'm not a member of the bruanvieh association. I have no complaints with my first years results. The braunvieh sire I use has a birth weight of 92 lbs. His offspring have ranged from about 60 to 88 lbs with the heavier being on straight breed braunvieh cows. I cautiously admit out of 21 cows, all have calved a live calf unassisted.

Good point Brimmer about Braunvieh being another option for producers to consider. I really think a shot of Braunvieh in many of the high percentage Angus commercial herds would do them a world of good. So many commercial producers have drank the Angus Kool-Aid and believe that Angus is the only way to go, and consequently they give up so much in heterosis. If these same producers would run a Angus/Braunvieh cross cow, I think they would be amazed at how many more pounds of calf they would wean; not to mention that the calves would likely be more muscular. If they retain their calves and sell on the grid, they will improve their yield grades and will likely not hurt their quality grades by much, if at all.

One might consider the possible difference in cuttability in braunvieh vs Glbvieh, as even though the braunvieh may in general be larger, the ones I have seen have fairly large bone. Would that reduce the meat -bone percentage when butchered, over the gelbvieh?? Something to consider and check out.
Butchers here are getting pretty picky as to what they spend their dollar on.
Some have gotten to the point they don't want to buy straight -old style Herefords, as their complaint is "they have too heavy of a hide, and they want to spend money on meat not hide".!!-Their comments...
One needs to consider which breed does best in the area you live in, and which cattle does best under your climate and raising conditions--pasture raised vs range raised etc.
I have seen a few brindle colored Braunvieh, and that doesn't bother me, but in this area brindle colored cattle are imediatley assumed to have jersy blood ( even when they don't) and meat buyers are predjuiced against them and gray colored cattle. That is our local reality.
It is amazing that some of the buyers don't know more about cattle, as a local fellow was raising Tarentais cattle, and he had to go around at the sale and tell them they were not heavy jersy's!!! After he got them all educated as to what they were looking at, he got top dollar.
He told us that himself.
At this particular sale, in the fall a good 5000 cattle a day go through, so you would have thought someone would know what they are looking at, but they didn't.
So take into account what breed works for you and your raising conditions and the market in your area...
Nite Hawk

brimmer X":2h1ohf3y said:
Leave it to 3way for the most snide comments. I am glad he is not my neighbor.
Wow brimmer! When I read 3way's post I didn't get that vibe at all :???: I read it as a fairly light hearted comment with a bit of humor thrown in on his point #4. The other comments were accurate. Nothing wrong with Braunvieh cattle. A guy about 20 miles from me raises some humdinger Braunvieh heifers but has a select clientele. In my area at least they just haven't caught on as much as Gelbvieh has. I am glad yours are working out well for you :tiphat:

If 3way were my neighbor maybe he would take me elk hunting with him :mrgreen:

brimmer X":2nramjfu said:
Thank you for the comments on this subject. UG comments were the most informative, which is why the question was proposed. Leave it to 3way for the most snide comments. I am glad he is not my neighbor. I believe the 2 breeds are very similar, the biggest difference maybe the color and birth weights. Bruanvieh can be found in black, and as brierpatch stated a lot are in a dark brown. If the cross bred offspring don't have a white ring aroung the muzzel, I doubt many could tell whether it was from bruanvieh or gelbvieh.
I like this board, and refer to it often. The cattle business is not new to my family, but there are so many others more knowledgeable than myself. Occasionally, I have a piece of information that might benefit someone. The bruanvieh breed is just another option for others to consider,and I'm not a member of the bruanvieh association. I have no complaints with my first years results. The braunvieh sire I use has a birth weight of 92 lbs. His offspring have ranged from about 60 to 88 lbs with the heavier being on straight breed braunvieh cows. I cautiously admit out of 21 cows, all have calved a live calf unassisted.

I actually was not being snide in any way other than #4 and that was just a statement of fact. Because I can. I also finished with the statement that I actually liked them. :tiphat:
For the record however I don't think they resemble Gelbveih much at all.

As far as living next door to you I am truly sorry I don't. I could get up every day and know I was the best looking and smartest fella in the neighborhood. :cowboy:
now that's what snide sounds like

Oh and one other thing. I will take Hoss Elk hunting some day. Cuz he says such nice things about me and he likes Gelbvieh's.......and no you can't come!

Purebred gelbviehs don't resemble their fullblood counter parts either. So I ask you, "what does a ""Gelbvieh"" look like?"

Massey135":3r8ta5af said:
Purebred gelbviehs don't resemble their fullblood counter parts either. So I ask you, "what does a ""Gelbvieh"" look like?"

Ah! once again you seek to pick a fight or should I say stick your nose into one! Thank You, but I decline to participate. Now you run out and see if any of the other kids want to fight with you! :p

3waycross":3k0h0fng said:
Massey135":3k0h0fng said:

Ah! once again you seek to pick a fight or should I say stick your nose into one! Thank You, but I decline to participate. Now you run out and see if any of the other kids want to fight with you! :p
It was a legitimate question, o snide one.

Latest posts