braunvieh vs gelbvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

Massey135":34fsdrwl said:
3waycross":34fsdrwl said:
Massey135":34fsdrwl said:
Purebred gelbviehs don't resemble their fullblood counter parts either. So I ask you, "what does a ""Gelbvieh"" look like?"

Ah! once again you seek to pick a fight or should I say stick your nose into one! Thank You, but I decline to participate. Now you run out and see if any of the other kids want to fight with you! :p
It was a legitimate question, o snide one.

No it wasn't it was an invitation to another one of your endless loop arguments. Notice i never put your breed down but you always have something smart to say about Gelbvieh's. Now stop picking nits with me. Promote Shorties all you want. Personally I like em and I really like em crossed with Gelbvieh.

Not real sure what the gelvieh's don't look like but compared to a braunvieh what are we truley comparing the ring around there mounths. :bday:

3 way, you always hate on shorthorn colors.
I noticed that 3 way does damage to gelbveis, an massey135 hurts shorthorns, by there lousy attitudes much like Im no good at promotin herfs

hypo-chrisy":2agrgzfe said:
I noticed that 3 way does damage to gelbveis, an massey135 hurts shorthorns, by there lousy attitudes much like Im no good at promotin herfs

have you ever sat at the sale barn and watched what happens when ANYTHING WITH COLOR comes through. The market hates color not me.
As far as what I do for Gelbvieh. You are entitled to your opinion. Too bad it's not well thought out and informed! I have to ask though do adults in your area actually use phrases like
you always hate on shorthorn colors.
around here that's how the junior high girls talk!

BTW if this is an example of how you talk about other folks cattle then I think you should probably not critisize me....and I quote
Re: Whats wrong with Simmental cattle?
by hypo-chrisy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:46 pm

Taurus wrote:
The only thing I don't like Simmentals is the newly improved black simmentals. But I don't see any deals with simmentals in here...

`cause their ugly and stupid like angus, the old red ones are ok.

Red Bull Breeder":oqlnfbwy said:
Come on 3Way be nice the kids only want you to come out and play. :lol: Lighten up have a little fun, you no its all in fun. :D :hide:

Says he's licensed plumber and talks like a 14 yr old girl.....How would you call it Randy?

3waycross":23b2tmwa said:
hypo-chrisy":23b2tmwa said:

have you ever sat at the sale barn and watched what happens when ANYTHING WITH COLOR comes through. The market hates color not me.
As far as what I do for Gelbvieh. You are entitled to your opinion. Too bad it's not well thought out and informed! I have to ask though do adults in your area actually use phrases like
you always hate on shorthorn colors.
around here that's how the junior high girls talk!

BTW if this is an example of how you talk about other folks cattle then I think you should probably not critisize me....and I quote
Re: Whats wrong with Simmental cattle?
by hypo-chrisy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:46 pm

Taurus wrote:
The only thing I don't like Simmentals is the newly improved black simmentals. But I don't see any deals with simmentals in here...

`cause their ugly and stupid like angus, the old red ones are ok.

I thought youd be mad an show some color! I wrote it just to annoy you. Besides that I no you like junior high girls. Im glad you read my old post tho, makes me feel all warm an fuzzy...
oh an did I mention the black fad is silly an black gelbs are fake angus

Red Bull Breeder":2iurvpup said:
Come on 3Way be nice the kids only want you to come out and play. :lol: Lighten up have a little fun, you no its all in fun. :D :hide:

Yup way to sirious, dont be all grumpy on me :bday: :hide:

Thank you Hoss for your comments. You pretty much seem to want to assist others with a positive attitude while being passionate about your breed of choice. My original comments was for a topic of discussion, that could benefit myself as well as others. I hope most of us on this board, can raise what we want to, and put out a better product for others and ourselves. We should be able to do that with out the attitude. I doubt many on here, myself included, could tell the difference between a CROSS bred calf that was half braunvieh or gelbvieh, if the calf had no white ring around the muzzel. A lot of those cross bred calves don't have it. Shoot, some bruanvieh don't even have it. I would not rule out using a Gelbvieh at some point in time. Heck, they must have something to offer they are talked about enough on here. Some people on here make them selves targets, but that really never accomplishes much. Anybody can hide behind a computer screen and keyboard. I hope that many here are different in real life, than how he or she comes across on this board at times.

We've used genetics of several breeds, including Braunvieh and Gelbvieh, so my comments are based primarily on our experiences with these breeds. Braunvieh and Gelbvieh seem to offer many of the same benefits to commercial producers; good milk, good fertility, and better Yield Grades in general than Angus, so both breeds compliment Angus very well in a cross breeding program.

In general, Braunvieh are better in quality grades than Gelbvieh, but also tend to have higher birth weights, and possibly a bit more mature size, Gelbvieh are likely better in direct calving ease and fertility, and there tend to be more black and homozygous polled genetics than in the Braunvieh breed. I'm actually surprised that not more Braunvieh breeders have bred for black and polled cattle, considering that these are two traits that tend to be high on the criteria list of many commercial bull buyers.

brierpatch, I don't know of any color patterns in cattle that are influenced more by one parent than the other, so I doubt that Braunvieh sired calves follow the color of their sires. Just my thoughts.
Gelbvieh are a composite of German Yellow, Simmental and Braunvieh. The Braunvieh gene pool is much larger than Gelbvieh. You wont find Gelbvieh in 60 countries around the world, Braunvieh you do.

I'll start by saying I like both breeds, but I do have braunvieh. My question is, why would you choose one over the other? I have some braunvieh cows, and use a braunvieh bull on them. He is also used to breed some other cows, charolais and simbra. My primary focus was on replacements. From a heifer stand point, I've not been disappointed. They are probably the best we've ever raised. I like the look of braunvieh cattle, and their disposition. They milk well, and seem to be pretty easy keepers. A year and half ago I bought my first braunvieh, so I'm not promoting or selling braunvieh animals at this time. I would not rule out using gelbvieh myself, but curious why others would use one over the other.
Branivieh cross Gelbvieh would depend. Red might turn out great. Black might have odd curly haired critters

A typical Braunvieh, with the characteristic 'wild' color and muzzle ring, crossed over red or red-carrier cows will very frequently give you brindle in the resulting calves . Braunvieh over black... you'll get black or dark 'wild' color calves. No 'rat-tails' with thin, curly hair, like you might get with the Simmental or Gelbvieh color dilution genes in play, but the 'black' calves may not be 'Angus' black...
I posted photos of some halfblood Braunvieh cows we bred a few years back, in this thread: https://www.cattletoday.com/threads/just-a-thought.126301/#post-1692702

Latest posts