Braunvieh pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

chippie

Reaction score
This is our daughter's purebred Braunvieh heifer. She was born March 2, 2007. She is 18 months old in this picture taken at our County Fair Sept. 2008. Hurricane Ike was right before our fair and she lost condition from the stress of the storm.

400717545_DmvSB-M.jpg

In the following pictures were taken last week she is 21 months old. She is bred to the Angus bull
SAF Fame. It is difficult to tell an animal's size from a picture. She is a big heifer weighing 1000 lbs. This is pasture condition with free choice Jiggs hay.

431851667_Chdyj-M.jpg

431851907_vHb6H-M.jpg

SAF Fame
saffame.jpg

http://www.bovine-elite.com/angblkepd2.asp?idProduct=2334&id2nd=40

And this is Duchess our son's cow. She is a full blood Braunvieh and was born Sept. 23, 2006. She had her second calf (a heifer by SAF Fame) on Sept. 1, 2008. I think that two calves before turning 3 years old is a good thing. She is a good mother and raises a good calf.

This is her first calf (male) born 10/07/07. The picture was taken Dec. 07.

246159542_gnVHa-M.jpg

and this when she had her current calf (a heifer). I need to get a current picture.

431859644_Ga2Lj-M.jpg

and I am including this picture because I just like it.

431852408_FjmtQ-M.jpg

Beef breeds that we have owned over the past years are Horned Herefords, Belgian Blue and now Braunvieh. I really like the Braunvieh best. They are gentle, easy to work and do well in our hot humid climate. Thanks for looking.
happy.gif

I do like the looks of those cattle, especially that first heifer! I know my neighbor loves Braunvieh cattle.

it looks like your show heifer is missing part of the breed standard: white muzzle and ear.

please tell me you are not selecting for less white.

Actually my son's cow was his show heifer too. Our son's cow, Duchess, is registered as a "full blood original Braunvieh".

The difference between the two is that our daughter's heifer, Lady, is registered as a "purebred". She has Angus in the woodpile so to speak. Lady was our daughter's Scramble Heifer. She and her Dad went to the National Braunvieh Sale and Lady was Dot's choice.

Our son's cow was his Scramble Heifer. When he showed at the 2007 Houston Livestock Show, it really didn't seem to matter to the judge whether or not the heifer looked like the original Braunvieh or like the the dark heifer. The dark ones were not penalized for their coloring.
errr.gif

So we have two kids, two different types.

Hi Chippie!

You have some good looking Braunvieh's here! If you don't mind, I would like to use your daughter's calf as an example for a subject that the Forum has been examining for the last few days. That is the Topic titled "Cow Hocked".

If the Forum members would look (in THIS topic) at the second picture from the top (the Braunvieh heifer), you will see a very descriptive picture (rear view) of a calf that is NOT cow hocked! Great standing posture! Directly below it is another picture (side view) of the SAME heifer - and here we see an example of a heifer that is SICKLE-HOCKED. Notice how the legs angle toward the front from the hocks down, instead of being perpendicular to the ground.

Chippie, I am sorry to use her as an "example" - - but - - she IS sickle-hocked (in this picture), and it is a good specimen for a learning experience.

Good luck with your show classes. The Braunvieh breed has made some remarkable advances in the last few years, and I wish you luck with your herd.

DOC HARRIS

I think I will def. stick with fullblood Braunviehs.

To me, the younger heifer lacks the muscling and bone that makes me like the breed in the first place. jmo and no offense intended.

The cow looks like she is doing her job, and well.

Can I ask why you bred to an angus? Not interested in breeding to a braunvieh?

I have a Braunvieh cow that calved 5 days short of 13 mos. Another at 15 mos. Both delivered unassisted. I now lute all heifers when I work them. Most births are in 70 to 74 lbs range consistently. Only 2 have I had to pull in over 100 births. Both were backwards. Also wondering why you're breeding to Angus? Birth wt?

Latest posts