Braunvieh Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

i dont like that breed at all.have a neighbor that runs those bulls.if we catch him in our pasture we get him out right away.if you run him on another breed he will make his calves.we have some crosses from the fence jumper that need to go to the sale.

We have used a half braunvieh bull at one point, calves grew well. Can get some wild colors. I would personally use a gelbvieh first

bigbull338":9fcn6fqg said:
i dont like that breed at all.have a neighbor that runs those bulls.if we catch him in our pasture we get him out right away.if you run him on another breed he will make his calves.we have some crosses from the fence jumper that need to go to the sale.
Bet their good calves none the less...

some might be.will know when we start culling the herd down.thinking about going reg with just about everything on the place.

We've had a few Braunviehs and overall we really like them. They are a docile breed and the calves have very good growth. They cross very well with Angus, and the halfbloods make great feeder calves. The halfblood females also make really good cows.

Like someone posted previously, when you cross Braunviehs with red cattle you can get some crazy markings, including some Tiger Stripes.

In my opinion following are some of the breed's limitations:
1. calf buyers often mistake Braunvieh calves as dairy Brown Swiss and discount them at the sale barn
2. a relatively high percentage of Braunvieh bulls are horned, and of those that are polled, many are hetero polled
3. whereas breeders of many of the other Continental breeds have done a good job of reducing birth weights, the data I see on many Braunvieh sired cattle is that tend to be heavier at birth

bigbull338":3lp09vbz said:
some might be.will know when we start culling the herd down.thinking about going reg with just about everything on the place.

BB338-

registered - what?? "Everything on the place". What are your reasons for registering "everything on the place"? Do you think that by registering "everything" it will improve your genetics? ....and what selection factors will you use to determine what "just about" will cause you to not register them? What will you do with those that you not register? . . . and what will you do with those that you DO Register? What Traits and Characteristics are you going to focus on for Selection choices, and why are you going to focus on those particular characteristics? In your "Long Term Goal" planning, how many years are you allowing yourself to acquire a registered herd of high enough genetic quality to justify a completely registered herd which will elevate your genetics to an elite level, thereby vindicating your considerable expense and efforts to achieve that desirable goal?

These are mandatory factors to consider when " Registering Everything on the Place"!

DOC HARRIS

They have them just east of I35 here from Austin. They seem to wofk well there on good grass and are /were probably pushed from the Grrmans and Swedes who's grand pas made em. They are good cows. Take to feed and grade/eat well!

Have been interested in Braunvieh for 20+ years. Finally getting around to trying some, by way of AI.
Bought 10 units each of two older Braunvieh sires - Silverwood Dragon & Northstar Vernon - and will be breeding most of the mature cows in my fall herd to them this year.
Farm manager is hoping for some 'wild-color' or brindle females; we do have one cow family that carries the 'wild-color' gene, and enough red-carriers that we might get quite a few brindles.
Not going any heavier into them 'til I see how well they do - and how well the steers sell here.

Local Beefmaster breeder has run some Braunvieh bulls over Beefmaster & commercial cows on a couple of occasions. The calves I saw were really good, and they've told me that they really liked the halfblood females... but said the bulls they bought were the meanest things they'd ever had - and they run Jersey bulls on their heifers!

DOC HARRIS":1ol7c2lk said:
bigbull338":1ol7c2lk said:

BB338-

registered - what?? "Everything on the place". What are your reasons for registering "everything on the place"? Do you think that by registering "everything" it will improve your genetics? ....and what selection factors will you use to determine what "just about" will cause you to not register them? What will you do with those that you not register? . . . and what will you do with those that you DO Register? What Traits and Characteristics are you going to focus on for Selection choices, and why are you going to focus on those particular characteristics? In your "Long Term Goal" planning, how many years are you allowing yourself to acquire a registered herd of high enough genetic quality to justify a completely registered herd which will elevate your genetics to an elite level, thereby vindicating your considerable expense and efforts to achieve that desirable goal?

These are mandatory factors to consider when " Registering Everything on the Place"!

DOC HARRIS
ive learned since ive been in reg beefmasters theres money tobe made selling reg heifers at weaning time.around where i live if they know you have reg heifers they will buy them fast.when i buy at the sales i buy the best cows i can.