Braunviegh

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have an Angus heifer, I want to get her bred to<br>a low birth weight bull for her first time. I have<br>a friend who raises Braunveighs, how good of a cross<br>would that be, I've also heard that Braunveighs <br>produce low birth weight calves.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":3piqud4l said:
: I have an Angus heifer, I want to get her bred to<br>: a low birth weight bull for her first time. I have<br>: a friend who raises Braunveighs, how good of a cross<br>: would that be, I've also heard that Braunveighs <br>: produce low birth weight calves.<p>If you have just one heifer (or even more than one), you may want to consider A.I. There are lots of "heifer" bulls available (at least for angus, that I am most familiar with). I have read good things about Braunveighs, primarily through advertisements though, but have not raised them myself. I'm not 100% positive, but I believe that Braunveigh bulls tend to produce calves the color of the cow, which would keep you black (around here that is a plus at the market). If we were to start a commerial herd this is one of the crosses we were considering researching, so I'm also interested if anyone has tried this too. I think some of the BV breeders here in MO are breeding black BV bulls for the market - I'm not sure, but they may be this F1 hybrid you are considering.<p>Any particular reason you aren't considering sticking with angus? Angus have the most extensive records of any breed. Yes, we raise them. There are many highly accurate angus bulls on the market that are considered calving ease, but do not compromise growth & other traits. So, I'm partial and would recommend sticking with angus. Good Luck.
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":ts60431x said:
: : I have an Angus heifer, I want to get her bred to<br>: : a low birth weight bull for her first time. I have<br>: : a friend who raises Braunveighs, how good of a cross<br>: : would that be, I've also heard that Braunveighs <br>: : produce low birth weight calves.<p>: If you have just one heifer (or even more than one), you may want to consider A.I. There are lots of "heifer" bulls available (at least for angus, that I am most familiar with). I have read good things about Braunveighs, primarily through advertisements though, but have not raised them myself. I'm not 100% positive, but I believe that Braunveigh bulls tend to produce calves the color of the cow, which would keep you black (around here that is a plus at the market). If we were to start a commerial herd this is one of the crosses we were considering researching, so I'm also interested if anyone has tried this too. I think some of the BV breeders here in MO are breeding black BV bulls for the market - I'm not sure, but they may be this F1 hybrid you are considering.<p>: Any particular reason you aren't considering sticking with angus? Angus have the most extensive records of any breed. Yes, we raise them. There are many highly accurate angus bulls on the market that are considered calving ease, but do not compromise growth & other traits. So, I'm partial and would recommend sticking with angus. Good Luck.<br>The reason I am considering a Braunveigh is that it would be an easy deal and would not probably cost too much. I love Angus and will breed with Angus from then on after.<br>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":208j2wp2 said:
: : : I have an Angus heifer, I want to get her bred to<br>: : : a low birth weight bull for her first time. I have<br>: : : a friend who raises Braunveighs, how good of a cross<br>: : : would that be, I've also heard that Braunveighs <br>: : : produce low birth weight calves.<p>: : If you have just one heifer (or even more than one), you may want to consider A.I. There are lots of "heifer" bulls available (at least for angus, that I am most familiar with). I have read good things about Braunveighs, primarily through advertisements though, but have not raised them myself. I'm not 100% positive, but I believe that Braunveigh bulls tend to produce calves the color of the cow, which would keep you black (around here that is a plus at the market). If we were to start a commerial herd this is one of the crosses we were considering researching, so I'm also interested if anyone has tried this too. I think some of the BV breeders here in MO are breeding black BV bulls for the market - I'm not sure, but they may be this F1 hybrid you are considering.<p>: : Any particular reason you aren't considering sticking with angus? Angus have the most extensive records of any breed. Yes, we raise them. There are many highly accurate angus bulls on the market that are considered calving ease, but do not compromise growth & other traits. So, I'm partial and would recommend sticking with angus. Good Luck.<p>: The reason I am considering a Braunveigh is that it would be an easy deal and would not probably cost too much. I love Angus and will breed with Angus from then on after.<p>Cost is an important factor. Your friend could probably tell you about the Braunveighs. I would guess that they also have a website and you may find some more answers there. Best Wishes.
<br>

[email protected]

Please do more research before you breed a heifer to a Braunvigh. We raise registered Angus and have been using the New Design 036 bull on all our heifers for several years. We get 72-78 lb. calves consistently. A ranch manager in Texas told me they used him on Braunviegh heifers and had a real disaster. According to him, Braunviegh are HARD calvers. He also said they were not good mothers the first time around. That was one opinion; but check it out before you breed her. I think your best bet is a calving ease Angus bull, backed up with solid EPDs. Good luck...

> I have an Angus heifer, I want to
> get her bred to a low birth weight
> bull for her first time. I have a
> friend who raises Braunveighs, how
> good of a cross would that be,
> I've also heard that Braunveighs
> produce low birth weight calves.

[email protected]

Braunvieh x Angus is an awesome cross. very fertile. Braunvieh are known for siring heavier birth weight calves. They are fairly easy calving an their is a large number of low BW braunvieh bulls. Braunvieh x Angus heifers= breed back angus for great results.

Latest posts