Brangus X Simmental

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Has anyone ever crossed any Simmentals and Brangus? I've got a few Brangus heifers and a Simmental cow and want to get a Simmental or Brangus bull. Just wondering how good the calves will turn out. The ASA said the crosses would be considered Simbrah.

[email protected]

They would be a lot like my Gert-Sim cross's. Incredible. I weighed my weaned calves just a couple weeks ago and got a new record weight. A Gert sired steer out of a 9 year Old Full blood Simmie weighed 890 pounds at 212 days of age ( actual weight) The Gert is 5/8ths British ( shorthorn) just like your Brangus is 5/8ths British with its Angus portion. The three way cross of British, Continental, and Indicus is really quite explosive in the calves demonstrating exponential benefits. Vigor, growth, and good looks.

[email protected]

I'd rather cross them with a Simbrah bull that way you will still have the benefits of the 3/8's of Brahman and the 5/8's will be Simm-Angus. By the way I'm thinking in that cross, Simbrah-Red Brangus

[email protected]

Two years ago I used a 3/4 Sim. 1/4 Angus bull on my Brangus cows and had some really good calves. I was sure pleased with the way they sold. We didn't have any calving problems and the calves weaned off slightly heavier than the Angus calves from the year before.

[email protected]

I do not believe you can go wrong breeding to a Simmental in a cross breeding program. I wonder if the Simbra and Brangus will have to much ear. Here in the North Texas area the buyers do not like to much ear

[email protected]

I know you can't go wrong breeding to a Simmental, personally I own a 350 registered herd of Simmental in Northeast Mexico, and you are talking of the North Texas market, but In the Rio Grande Valley as well as in Mexico and almost all the countries in the tropical area the 3/8 Brahman (Bos Indicus) in any af the crossbreds that exits is prefered for the heat and insect tolerance,hardiness and excellent foraging ability, as well as maternal calving ease and longevity. For your information Simbrah is called and has been described as " The All Porpuse American Breed"
> I do not believe you can go wrong
> breeding to a Simmental in a cross
> breeding program. I wonder if the
> Simbra and Brangus will have to
> much ear. Here in the North Texas
> area the buyers do not like to
> much ear

[email protected]

Do you think a three way cross of 5/8 Simm-Angus 3/8 Zebu will work as well?

> They would be a lot like my
> Gert-Sim cross's. Incredible. I
> weighed my weaned calves just a
> couple weeks ago and got a new
> record weight. A Gert sired steer
> out of a 9 year Old Full blood
> Simmie weighed 890 pounds at 212
> days of age ( actual weight) The
> Gert is 5/8ths British (
> shorthorn) just like your Brangus
> is 5/8ths British with its Angus
> portion. The three way cross of
> British, Continental, and Indicus
> is really quite explosive in the
> calves demonstrating exponential
> benefits. Vigor, growth, and good
> looks.

[email protected]

Zebu is the "bos indicus" you were talking about in the three way cross, could be the most common; Brahman, Nelore, Gyr, Guzerat, Indubrasil.

> I can't answer that intelligently
> not knowing much about the Zebu
> breed.

[email protected]

Brahman are actually a composite developed from multuple Bos Indicus breeds.

dun

> Zebu is the "bos
> indicus" you were talking
> about in the three way cross,
> could be the most common; Brahman,
> Nelore, Gyr, Guzerat, Indubrasil.

The Nelore, Gyr and Guzerat are the principal varieties to be used to developed the Brahman, but anyway Brahman is considered a "bos indicus"

> Brahman are actually a composite
> developed from multuple Bos
> Indicus breeds.

> dun

[email protected]

Latest posts