Brangus vs Angus birthweights

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My herd consist of brangus and angus cattle. I have been debating on breeding my angus cows to brangus bulls, but I am uncertain on my angus heifers. I am uncertain as to how much larger the calves would be.
Any suggestions?

J Baxter":330lmkqe said:
My herd consist of brangus and angus cattle. I have been debating on breeding my angus cows to brangus bulls, but I am uncertain on my angus heifers. I am uncertain as to how much larger the calves would be.
Any suggestions?

Does the Brangus bull have EPDs?

The calves from our bull are mostly in the 78lb to 83lb range from Reg. Angus cows. One partner in South Texas that bred him to Brangus type cows, has calves mostly in the 74 to 77 lb range.

If you are going with the brangus, and don't already have a bull, buy one from a reputable breeder and pay particular attention to the birth weight EPD. If you don't know alot about EPDs, as I don't, a reputable breeder can help you out. I bought a young Brangus bull with a low birthweight EPD last year and bred four Angus heifers to him. All four calves came within three days of each other and the average weight was 61 lbs. No calf pulling at all!

I am leary of epds. I have seen too many instances where the epds are governed more by feeding and implants than animal performance.

Devin,

Where did you get your bull and what type feeding regimen did you have with these heifers?

Thanks,

James

James,
I purchase all of my Brangus bulls from Rocky Ridge Ranch in Cookville, TN. The number is 931 526 6644 or 931 528 7475. They are very helpful and easy to work with. They are located about one hour east of Nashville on I 40.

These heifers were born in Feb 2002 raised on fescue and clover pasture. They were dewormed once in May and once at the end of July. About one month before weaning I set up a creep gate and let the calves go into a small 12 acre hay field and graze my 3rd cutting. They are weaned around the last week of October. They then go to a stockpiled fescue field to graze and eat about five pounds/per head of Southern States medicated feed for about two weeks. Then I switch their feed to soy hulls. I don't have my notes so I can't tell you the lbs/day. It isn't much though. About 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket for the four I was telling you about in the first post. I will set grass/clover hay out for them, but they won't touch it until they mow down the fescue.
This is the way we raise them every year. We usually breed the heifers one month ahead of the cows, usually on April 1st.
There are probably alot of things I could do better or haven't thought of, but this has worked good so far. Good luck with your bull selection.
Devin

Latest posts