Brangus terminology

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Was flipping thru a red brangus book the other day and noticed that the animals were categorized by 1st gen, 2nd gen, etc. Anyone care to explain?

cfpinz

cfpinz":1mph6gbl said:
Was flipping thru a red brangus book the other day and noticed that the animals were categorized by 1st gen, 2nd gen, etc. Anyone care to explain?

cfpinz
its a breeding up to purebred brangus program to produce a 3/8 bra. 5/8 red angus percentage

ALACOWMAN":39gmdjfz said:
cfpinz":39gmdjfz said:

cfpinz
its a breeding up to purebred brangus program to produce a 3/8 bra. 5/8 red angus percentage

That's easy enough to grasp. What would the %'s be for a 1st gen, 2nd gen, etc? Or would that depend on how the breeding up was done? Thanks for your patience, I'm a little slow. :dunce:

cfpinz

>>one route is to take a 3/4 bra 1/4 angus bull and breed to purebred angus cows<<

That will get you a purebred brangus for sure, but I think that is what they mean by 1st generation. Those calves are 1st generation brangus.

nortexsook":8pcfnlgf said:
>>one route is to take a 3/4 bra 1/4 angus bull and breed to purebred angus cows<<

That will get you a purebred brangus for sure, but I think that is what they mean by 1st generation. Those calves are 1st generation brangus.
right. start with the FI then breed back the F1 to a purebred brahman to get the 3/4 bull to start with the first generation .to much work for me ;-)

On the registration papers from the international brangus breeders assoication, 1st generation means the cattle are 3/8 brahman and 5/8 brangus but were produced from breeding up to Brangus and the animal in question is the first generation of a defined brangus. This is not the same as a true 1st generation (F1). It is a term for the brangus breeders because you can have cattle as registered (3/8:5/8) or certified (1/4 brahman:3/4 angus, 1/2 brahman: 1/2 angus, etc.) The registered can come from breeding up to brangus or be produced by breeding registered brangus to registered brangus. The generation tells how many brangus to brangus breedings occur. Go to int-brangus.org and you can surf the page to find the breeders handbook under downloads and manuals.

Looking into red brangus?

djwalker":2m8mkgu7 said:
Go to int-brangus.org and you can surf the page to find the breeders handbook under downloads and manuals.

Thank You

Looking into red brangus?

No, just curious. My wife has mentioned getting a couple brangus or beefmaster heifers for her amusement but I'm not too keen on the idea. But either beats the snot out of a horse. :lol:

cfpinz