brangus [horned]

Help Support CattleToday:

I would have my doubts that it's a "real" Brangus if it has horns. Black Brangus are 5/8 Angus and 3/8 Brahman. Brahman cattle are hard to get the horns off of, but by the time you get 5/8 Angus, seems to me the horns should be gone.

an a brangus have horns? i never
> saw a angus with horn ......?
> thanks

> can a brangus have horns? i never
> saw a angus with horn ......?
> thanks

I believe not if it is a "true" Brangus. And I'm almost certain that the Int'l. Brangus Breeders Assoc. requires that the beast be polled in order to be registered.

That being said, Ive seen a fair number of bulls that were purported to be Brangus but that had some horn (but not near as much as some of the "old time" Brahmans had); however, I suspect that they had both Angus and Brahman parentage, but were not true Brangus (which would be precisely 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Angus).

I once owned a slightly horned "Brangus" bull, and he didn't often throw black calves. He was black, but I think he must have had a good bit less than 5/8 Angus in him.

I'm afraid Brangus gets a bad rap a lot of the time. Around here, anything black with some ear is called "Brangus."

> I believe not if it is a
> "true" Brangus. And I'm
> almost certain that the Int'l.
> Brangus Breeders Assoc. requires
> that the beast be polled in order
> to be registered.

> That being said, Ive seen a fair
> number of bulls that were
> purported to be Brangus but that
> had some horn (but not near as
> much as some of the "old
> time" Brahmans had); however,
> I suspect that they had both Angus
> and Brahman parentage, but were
> not true Brangus (which would be
> precisely 3/8 Brahman and 5/8
> Angus).

> I once owned a slightly horned
> "Brangus" bull, and he
> didn't often throw black calves.
> He was black, but I think he must
> have had a good bit less than 5/8
> Angus in him.

> I'm afraid Brangus gets a bad rap
> a lot of the time. Around here,
> anything black with some ear is
> called "Brangus." thanks guys...........this a super gentle guy .just hate to miss represent him to a person who would want to buy him....thnaks ...i'll say brangus type......

Latest posts