Brangus / Hereford Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigdog13

Reaction score
We run a strictly Brangus commercial herd, registered Brangus bulls, commercial females with about 70 mama cows and our located in northeast Texas. We try to sell our heifers individuals and not at the sale barn. Our longtime big Brangus bull is going to town. Have a guy who runs more cows than me down the road that says he is getting about an extra $50 a head with Hereford bulls on his purebred commercial Brangus cows. Does anyone somewhat close to my area able to corroborate that the black baldy cross bring that much extra a head?

It will be interesting what people chime in and say. My first thought is I wonder if that gain is from it being a baldy or if its from cutting down the Brahman influence. You might get the same gains with a straight black Angus bull although I do love some baldies.

You are going to get some hybrid vigor from Brangus x Hereford cross, maybe a tick more than using an Angus. The Super Baldy is a great cross. Heifers will do well and the steer calves will top out in northeast Texas.

A super baldy heifer/cow will sell at a premium here in North Central Texas especially if you market them at a "special" replacement sale. The steers will sell well too. Get a broad deep bodied Herf bull and those calves will ever more mash down the scales.

You are going to get some hybrid vigor from Brangus x Hereford cross, maybe a tick more than using an Angus. The Super Baldy is a great cross. Heifers will do well and the steer calves will top out in northeast Texas.
Can't beat the cross IMO heifers bring top dollar right under tigers. The steers mash the scales. Most every commercial guy in East Texas wants some brimmer in his cows.
You have to remember over 40% of the US herd.

We just sold a couple of steers that were originally going to be freezer beef. The buyers flaked out so these guys took a one way trip to town. They were spring calves weaned almost 3 weeks on grass only. They grossed a bit over $900 a piece.

Im in NE OK and switched from a Brangus bull on commercial Brangus cows last year to a Hereford bull this year and have been very pleased with the calves. I am hoping Hybrid vigor and little less ear (although I love it) will equate to a better check when I sell in Q1 21.

Still too early to tell, but I think it will pay dividends over the long haul with increased marketability.

Hereford Assoc. says baldies bring a big premium.
Local market may vary. Here they like big fleshy high input blacks.
Super baldies sell well in the south. Every cow below I-40 needs to have some Brahman influence to be environmentally adapted. South Texas and Gulf coast needs 1/2 Brahman, where I live close to I-20 the cow needs to be 3/8 to 1/2 Brahman, from Red River north to Kansas line, a 3/16 to 1/4 Brahman cow works well.

Latest posts