Brangus disposition

Help Support CattleToday:

Mosho

Reaction score
I know that there are exceptions to any rule but does anyone have any experience with Brangus cattle re: handling, disposition, etc. that you would share? I am sure it has been discussed before but I did not find it in Search.

Mosho":yu15g3i1 said:
I know that there are exceptions to any rule but does anyone have any experience with Brangus cattle re: handling, disposition, etc. that you would share? I am sure it has been discussed before but I did not find it in Search.

I wouldn't recommend just any run of the mill brangus cattle for old folks and children. I'm sure there are exceptions and I have seen a few easy handling brangus but mine are not.

P.S. They only get nervous when penned. They are fine in the pasture.

My experience is they are terrific mamma cows and VERY PROTECTIVE of their babies. It is a rare exception that I can tag a brangus's calf in the field and it really isn't worth the chance. I had one that had a twins this year. She raised both and I weaned off 900 lbs off her. I haven't seen her cycle so I assume she rebred - I'll know shortly.

If you want fantastic mamma cows that can thrive in harsh conditons with little maintanence and you got really good working facilities - I'd say go for it. If not, stay clear cause they will get you. IMO

Oh, they have a fantastic side kick - learned that the old fashioned way! :oops: :oops: :eek:

My bull is Brangus and docile. He was born on the place. He has never been agressive but I don't push him either.

Cows are cows. If you treat brangus right, they are not a problem. If you over handle them, they will get weary. If you treat them rough, they'll get leary. If you get one that is too wild, it will stir the whole herd. Get rid of it.

Brangus is my favorite breed for my needs.

Strictly anecdotal. I've had a couple of Brangus heifers, ornery but not overly wild. A neighber here had a herd of Brangus and bought a bull that was so laid back and calm htat he was no problem at all. He got pneumonia and died and the next year the guy bought the full brother just one year younger. He didn;t make it through his first breeding season because he was so crazy he attacked everything including trucks. A 30-30 between the eyes calmed him down real well.

dun

You know how I feel about them. Protective of their young, but easy to handle in the corral and chutes. That's been my experience. High strung in the show ring, but I know that's not going to affect you. Had a bull that would put you in the back of the truck. But as for the mommas, good cows.

I cull very hard for temperment. Having said that the brangus that I have are fairly calm. They are no hereford, that's for sure. You don't push a brangus into anything. Mine are used to me coming on the mule, and will follow me anywhere (to different paddocks, catch pen, etc). But I would not want to "push" them with a horse. That might get kind of wild. If you handle them routinely and cull for disposition, I see no problem.

I think they take second to being a moma only to a tigerstripe.

They make excellent momma cows that can be crossed with just about any breed and raise good calves. That said, as CB says they can be a little "hot". Just remember they are like elephants - they have loooong memories. At our place, a pi$$y attitude will get your butt a one-way ticket to the sale barn quicker than a cat can......... so ours are bucket broke and easy to handle. However, always remember they can jump a 6 foot fence flat footed .

i think as far as mothering ablilty that brangus are as good as the tigers. don't think the are as heat tolerent as the tigers and that will effect their milking but they will kill you over them babies

There's a farm in my area that has Brangus cattle.

They are good looking cattle and seem to raise a nice calf but they are very nervous, when a stranger appears most of them will take flight.

I have brangus cattle and I really like them, but everyone has there own opinion. I have also dealt with many other breeds, but I like brangus the most. My herd sire is very gentle and easy to handle. As for the girls they are big babies too, but I have seen some pretty angry hard to handle brangus at times too. Chance you take I guess... :D

MTNCREEKFARMS":1vujjagq said:
I have brangus cattle and I really like them, but everyone has there own opinion. I have also dealt with many other breeds, but I like brangus the most. My herd sire is very gentle and easy to handle. As for the girls they are big babies too, but I have seen some pretty angry hard to handle brangus at times too. Chance you take I guess... :D

The only cow that I have in my herd that I can literally pet like a dog is a Brangus. I have retained most of her females. And I like her so much she will probably die here of old age. But MOST brangus that I have been associated with are a lot more flighty.

never could graps the concept of pett'n a cow. you can brush, comb bath, primp one, and one day when she takes a dam notion and most of the time for no reason. she'll grind your bones to powder

I love Brangus they are just not pets you have to lead them not drive them. They can get hot quick, I just sold a 3 year old that would fight a circle saw in the pen, she was fine in the pasture.

Caustic Burno":19aqv2p1 said:
I love Brangus

I had to sell one three years ago and I hated it. She fetched a lot of nickels at the sale. In this climate, they are about the best thing going and fetch some nickels at the sale barn.

We run brangus bulls and every one we've had and have are extremele gentle in and out of the pens. They will eat cubes out of your hand. All of our heifers we've raised are brangus X and they are all gentle. The craziest cow we've ever had was a char X. I know brangus have a bad rep for being crazy but you can get crazies in any breed.