Brangus Charolias Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Any thoughts on a charolais/black brangus cross. My neighbor is selling some registered heifers next door and they are kinda tempting. All I run is a brangus bull and will not switch until this fever tick situation goes away. He is next door is the only reason I was considering one of his girls and he rarely sells any of his heifers. $1600 for 1000+ pounds registered. Or I could AI and get registered calves.

I saw those on Facebook. Some nice looking chars, but if I spent the money on registered cows I would want to be selling registered calves off them.

RanchMan90":3u8m5oxo said:
if I spent the money on registered cows I would want to be selling registered calves off them.
I agree, but I'm not into registered cattle. IF you want registered charolias you won't find them any closer to you.
So I won't say anything against buying a few.

Try it, if you don't like the cross the next time you could always AI and get reg. calves. I have said a lot of times if I could hand pick me a herd of cattle it would be Char. X Brahman cows bred to Angus bulls.

BRYANT":x6dwfy01 said:
Try it, if you don't like the cross the next time you could always AI and get reg. calves. I have said a lot of times if I could hand pick me a herd of cattle it would be Char. X Brahman cows bred to Angus bulls.
Been looking. Anyone know where I can find what I need to do to register a calf and the data I need to collect. I cant find it anywhere.

Since they're already registered all you have to do for now is join the association so that you have a breeder number. It's been a while since I dealt with the charolais association but as I recall it was $100 per year. It's the sellers job to transfer them to your name. The association will send you instructions on where to go from there. For calf data all you really need to do is record weights at birth, weaning, and yearling. The charolais association does require semen certificates to register calves so if you get a few that are the right quality it will cost you another $20-40 bucks per calf for the signing fee.