Brangus Cattle and Tommy Lee Jones

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
1,108
Reaction score
0
Location
Tennessee
I heard Tommy Lee Jones say on Jay Leno that he raises Brangus cattle. Does anyone know anything about this and how big his operation is? Is there anybody else famous that raises cattle?
 
A

Anonymous

I keep hoping to run into Tommy Lee Jones when I'm out near San Saba for deer hunting -- that's where he's from and where he has a fairly substantial Brangus operation I believe. No luck so far. I'd love to pester him about a role in a Lonesome Dove type film.

Don't think he raises cattle, but there is a poor and disadvantaged boy from Georgia named Ted Turner that has bought a bit of land in a number of states and raises something like 50,000 Bison. Too bad he didn't get his ex-wife Hanoi Jane to go up to a few of the bulls and try to take SC measurements! Arnold Z.
 
OP
CopeMan

CopeMan

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
1,108
Reaction score
0
Location
Tennessee
D.R. Cattle":2kohmbsv said:
-Lead singer for Alabama Randy Owen. Has a Cattle Today web page.
-Nolan Ryan
-George Bush
I'm sure there are plenty more.

What is Randy Owens Website?
 
OP
CopeMan

CopeMan

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
1,108
Reaction score
0
Location
Tennessee
The lead singer for Sawyer Brown raises Herefords, his farm is called "Dirt Roads Farm." Another countrys singer that raises cattle is Tommy Shane Steiner. Hes apart of that huge Brangus Farm in Bastrop TX called Steiner Brangus, its his daddys. His brother Sid is apart of it to, hes the NFR Steer Wrestling Champ.
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
2
Location
South La
Their Grandpa Tommy Steiner was one of rhe top Rodeo Contractors in the country in the 50's thru early 70's. Their Great Grandpa Buck Steiner lived in three
Centuries. The 1800's the 1900's and into 2000's. So far I have not heard if he has died yet. He was a tough one. Left home before he was a teenager and retired very wealthy. I think may have owned a bank. If memory serves me correct he fought in Cuba with Teddy Roosevelt.
If there is more interest I will find more info on him and post it on here.. He was a Great Man.
Maybe John Fairy should be more like him instead of marrying his Heinz 57 Princess.

WIN BUSH WIN
 
OP
CopeMan

CopeMan

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
1,108
Reaction score
0
Location
Tennessee
la4angus":13kwoz75 said:
Their Grandpa Tommy Steiner was one of rhe top Rodeo Contractors in the country in the 50's thru early 70's. Their Great Grandpa Buck Steiner lived in three
Centuries. The 1800's the 1900's and into 2000's. So far I have not heard if he has died yet. He was a tough one. Left home before he was a teenager and retired very wealthy. I think may have owned a bank. If memory serves me correct he fought in Cuba with Teddy Roosevelt.
If there is more interest I will find more info on him and post it on here.. He was a Great Man.
Maybe John Fairy should be more like him instead of marrying his Heinz 57 Princess.

WIN BUSH WIN

Great info. How big is there ranch now, as in acres, and how many head of Brangus are they runnig? I know they are into Commercial bulls but are they a cow/calf also?
 

TR

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 26, 2003
Messages
353
Reaction score
0
Location
S. Central, TX
CopeMan":52mnvmre said:
Great info. How big is there ranch now, as in acres, and how many head of Brangus are they runnig? I know they are into Commercial bulls but are they a cow/calf also?

I thought I remember reading something about a Steiner Ranch sale, and sure 'nough, here it is:

Steiner Ranches Brangus Bulls
Saturday, March 27, 2004
Selling 150 Steiner Ranches Brangus Bulls
and 1000 Commercial Females

Looks like this Steiner Ranch in Bastrop is headed up by Bobby Steiner

http://www.steinerranches.com
http://www.americanbrangus.com
 

txag

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
1,712
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
TR":3pnbpx25 said:
CopeMan":3pnbpx25 said:
Great info. How big is there ranch now, as in acres, and how many head of Brangus are they runnig? I know they are into Commercial bulls but are they a cow/calf also?

I thought I remember reading something about a Steiner Ranch sale, and sure 'nough, here it is:

Steiner Ranches Brangus Bulls
Saturday, March 27, 2004
Selling 150 Steiner Ranches Brangus Bulls
and 1000 Commercial Females

Looks like this Steiner Ranch in Bastrop is headed up by Bobby Steiner

http://www.steinerranches.com
http://www.americanbrangus.com

yes, i think bobby is tommy shane's brother. they have good brangus bulls but i've heard they don't have "real epd's". not sure if it's true but supposedly they do the calculations themselves & they're not from the brangus assoc.

as for alabama, it's randy owen, tennesse river music, inc........they've been in the business a really long time and have some good polled hereford cattle. his daughter randa shows a lot. they were in ft worth & randy was just sitting in the barn like any old regular guy. they have an annual sale at their place every year in may. another member of alabama, teddy gentry is also involved in the cattle industry. mark miller of sawyer brown used to raise polled herefords. the ranch was called dirt road farms. they also had good cattle but dispersed a year or two ago.
 
A

Anonymous

I've never seen him there, but Chuck Norris is supposed to have a ranch around Navasota Tx., wouldn't dare to guess what he raises. I went to the Steiner sale a few years back. The sale was mainly his bulls and females sired buy his bulls from past customers. For the most part the quality of the cattle offered was very good.
 

eric

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
0
Location
Tx.......just north of Dallas
since you guys are pretty up on the NFR...does the name Chris Lybbert ring a bell to anyone here? I believe he was a All-Around champ in the 80's or so? anyone recall this?
 
A

Anonymous

I don't know large the Steiner ranch is, but I'd guess that it's pretty fair sized spread since they have around 1,500 Brangus cows in their herd. In addition to the spring sale the Steiners also have a larger annual sale in early December, at which they sell between 300 and 400 bulls. They still have regular EPD info, but also something that, if my memory is correct, they refer to as Reliable Progeny Measurements. I'm pretty sure it is mentioned and/or discussed on their website. As I recall the RPM's seek to give a little more info to the buyer than do the customary EPDs, and they are based on the bull's pedigree coupled with all the accumulated performance data on record for that particular bull. Arnold Ziffle
 

txag

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
1,712
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
Anonymous":1wuvyxgx said:
They still have regular EPD info, but also something that, if my memory is correct, they refer to as Reliable Progeny Measurements. I'm pretty sure it is mentioned and/or discussed on their website. As I recall the RPM's seek to give a little more info to the buyer than do the customary EPDs, and they are based on the bull's pedigree coupled with all the accumulated performance data on record for that particular bull. Arnold Ziffle

i checked out the website & they do have rpm's but they do not use epd's. their reasoning is that w/rpm's they use the individual animal's performance as well as his ancestors which sounds a little odd because epd's do this also. the aha has gone to a whole herd management program & each year you have to pay a fee for any cows on your inventory. you then have to pay to register calves & then again when you send in weaning info. maybe the brangus assoc has the same thing & they didn't want to pay to have the assoc provide epd's so they designed a program to do the same thing? just an idea.
 

Campground Cattle

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2004
Messages
2,533
Reaction score
0
Location
East Texas
txag":1qsnlfp4 said:
Anonymous":1qsnlfp4 said:
They still have regular EPD info, but also something that, if my memory is correct, they refer to as Reliable Progeny Measurements. I'm pretty sure it is mentioned and/or discussed on their website. As I recall the RPM's seek to give a little more info to the buyer than do the customary EPDs, and they are based on the bull's pedigree coupled with all the accumulated performance data on record for that particular bull. Arnold Ziffle

i checked out the website & they do have rpm's but they do not use epd's. their reasoning is that w/rpm's they use the individual animal's performance as well as his ancestors which sounds a little odd because epd's do this also. the aha has gone to a whole herd management program & each year you have to pay a fee for any cows on your inventory. you then have to pay to register calves & then again when you send in weaning info. maybe the brangus assoc has the same thing & they didn't want to pay to have the assoc provide epd's so they designed a program to do the same thing? just an idea.

Yea the AHA went to TPR and it stinks just a way to gouge money. You no longer can get your EPD's unless you particitate in TPR. Myself and and a lot of other breeders particitate in the pedigree program. In my opinion they made TPR such a hassle a lot of ranchers were going to start falsifing records. It is set up only for a spring or fall calve crop, not a year round operation. I could go on and on. To put it simply it stinks Here again they are trying to copy the Angus people instead of being a trend setter.
 

txag

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
1,712
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
Campground Cattle":2ny050gy said:
Yea the AHA went to TPR and it stinks just a way to gouge money. You no longer can get your EPD's unless you particitate in TPR. Myself and and a lot of other breeders particitate in the pedigree program. In my opinion they made TPR such a hassle a lot of ranchers were going to start falsifing records. It is set up only for a spring or fall calve crop, not a year round operation. I could go on and on. To put it simply it stinks Here again they are trying to copy the Angus people instead of being a trend setter.

we're kind of off the subject, but i agree. we do participate in tpr & i'm not fond of it myself. we run brangus bulls on some of our cows & we pay the yearly inventory on many of them as well on the chance that we may decide to move them back in w/a hereford bull......cheaper than paying the $30 re-activation fee.
 

Latest posts

Top