Brangus bull vs Brahman

Help Support CattleToday:

I would think Brangus would give you a more uniform crop of calves. There's no doubt that a Brangus is more stabilized breed. And the color will help you get better prices, both retail and wholesale.

Big Cheese":2mru32m6 said:
Santa Gert and Beefmaster aren't similar really. Beefmaster would be a great route to go. I like that idea. Beefmaster is a breed that is a mixture of Brahman, Hereford, and Shorthorn. That would be a great bull to use if your wanting the Brahma influence in your replacements and the steers will still grow great and be thick and heavy. They are also great milkers in my experience with them. Nobody may agree with me but I think it is a way better breed then Brangus. They are mostly red...can be yellow, red and white, and they also have black which would prolly be the route you would want to go since your used to Angus. The advantage of Beefmaster over Brangus in my opinion is they grow much better and the sale barns like them better. I've seen calves with that Brangus head not sell very good at the sale barn. I'm prolly going to get bashed for this a little but that's my opinion. Wacocowboy just gave you some great advice.

You're right, I don't! But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The Brangus must be sorry specimens where you live for the sales to like them better.

Beefmaster sales pretty good here. Calves with that Brangus head get docked some here. Also, if the ear shows in Brangus and Beefmaster in the calf it gets docked as well. Brangus aren't sorry around here a lot of people run them and I do like them but I like Beefmaster better. Their calves grow heavier and faster in my opinion. My family had a Beefmaster earlier in my life and his calves were really good calves and the mommas that we kept out of him were our best mommas once I got older to know what was going on. I feel like Beefmaster will do better for what he wants to do with his operation then Brangus or Brahman.

with the 2 bulls you mentioned either will work for you.so you might as well toss a coin and call it in the air and live with your choice.with your mix of cows i think you would be money ahead with the beefmaster bull in the long run because of the replacement heifers.we run 2 herds.my herd is strictly reg beemasters.the other is most all beefmaster cross cows now.the resulting heifer are bagging so tight this year you think their baggs will explode.so they will have the milk to raise their calves.

I applaud you for wanting to get more Brahman influence in your cow herd. Where you get that influence whether it be Brahman, Beefmaster, Brangus or Santa Gertrudis does not matter. What matters is the individual you select. You have stated that you sell the male calves as freezer beef and keep the best heifers for replacements. With that in mind, you need to look for and select a bull that has adequate milk epd's (shoot for breed average), acceptable growth epd's (slightly above breed average for weaning and breed average for yearling) and above average carcass epd's (ribeye area, backfat, carcass weight). Those type animals are out there, you just have to hunt.

bigbull338":2sxoijme said:
with the 2 bulls you mentioned either will work for you.so you might as well toss a coin and call it in the air and live with your choice.with your mix of cows i think you would be money ahead with the beefmaster bull in the long run because of the replacement heifers.we run 2 herds.my herd is strictly reg beemasters.the other is most all beefmaster cross cows now.the resulting heifer are bagging so tight this year you think their baggs will explode.so they will have the milk to raise their calves.

Bigbull hit the nail on the head for you here. For what you want, any of these three will work for you. Your wanting the Brahman influence in your heifers and your steers to grow great. Beefmaster bulls have more Brahma then Brangus. Brangus have usually 5/8 Angus and 3/8 Brahma and Beefmaster is a little less then half with the rest being Hereford and Shorthorn. I would choose between a Brangus or a Beefmaster for your operation. In my opinion, those are your best 2 choices and either one will do great for you. I think the full Brahman would give you to much ear. Beefmaster would be my choice.

BC":2tmdxrck said:
I applaud you for wanting to get more Brahman influence in your cow herd. Where you get that influence whether it be Brahman, Beefmaster, Brangus or Santa Gertrudis does not matter. What matters is the individual you select. You have stated that you sell the male calves as freezer beef and keep the best heifers for replacements. With that in mind, you need to look for and select a bull that has adequate milk epd's (shoot for breed average), acceptable growth epd's (slightly above breed average for weaning and breed average for yearling) and above average carcass epd's (ribeye area, backfat, carcass weight). Those type animals are out there, you just have to hunt.

I asked about brangus vs brahman because they are used more in my area than other brahman influence breeds. I appreciate all opinions. I know there are lifetimes of information here. I'll probably look for a good brangus. Can anyone recommend a reputable Registered Brangus breeder anywhere close to my area?

zirlottkim":1fqxxuxl said:
I asked about brangus vs brahman because they are used more in my area than other brahman influence breeds. I appreciate all opinions. I know there are lifetimes of information here. I'll probably look for a good brangus. Can anyone recommend a reputable Registered Brangus breeder anywhere close to my area?
http://southerncattlecompany.com/sires.html

Also, I think Blackwater and Town Creek Farms are both in Georgia. Salacoa Valley is somewhere over there, too. You can go to the IBBA website and do a breeder search for breeders in your area. www.gobrangus.com

ALACOWMAN":1tmazpzm said:
zirlottkim":1tmazpzm said:

X2

They also have Beefmaster I believe, in addition to their mainstay Brangus. I'm not sure if they are located at their North FL ranch though.

ALACOWMAN":2kmn3u87 said:
zirlottkim":2kmn3u87 said:

Those are all some good looking Bulls there. All of them.